1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 occasional powers down during boot

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by nabed4t, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

That's the key. And way back then, it was easy to do it wrong - or rather, have something go wrong. But you need to be realistic. Windows 98 came out in 1998 - almost 17 years ago. Hardware/BIOS makers have not been sitting on their thumbs since then.

And back then, to update the BIOS, you basically had to send away to the board maker for a disk to be sent by mail. Plus, new CPUs and RAM types were not coming out every couple months either. And finally, because fixing motherboards that were already in the field was much harder then, pre-launch testing was much more extensive.

Now, because everyone has Internet access and can download the updates, updates are more common.

Notice I did not say to make sure yours is current. I said to check to see if there is one. It is true that most updates only add support for new hardware since the motherboard came from the factory. But many also fix problems. I don't update mine unless it addresses a problem I am having, supports a new CPU or other hardware I want, or addresses a security issue (very rare). So look and read the change history to see if any update addresses the problem you are having.

And today's upgrade procedures are much more reliable too - often you are able to apply the update from within Windows and no have to boot to a bootable DVD.

2. nabed4t

nabed4t Established Techie7 Member

A few months late I know, but thank you for your help.

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Better late than never! ;)