1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by nukecad, Oct 15, 2015.

1. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

This is a new one, only started happening last week.

Some of my desktop Icons (shortcuts) keep reverting to the blank generic icon.

The shortcuts still work but the Icon is blank.

First noticed it last week with a shortcut to "All4", a UK TV application; so thought it may be connected to apps rather than programmes.

But today my Malwarebytes desktop icon has also changed to a blank.

Both icons are still there in the start menu and on the taskbar, it's just the desktop icons that have gone blank.

Got the Mbam icon back through properties (going to shut down and see if it stays) but the All4 won't come back that way.
    Could try a reinstall of All4 but no guarentee the icon won't go blank again.

I seem to remember a similar blank icon problem being reorted with Vista some years ago.

Any ideas?

EDIT
    So, I shut down and rebooted, Mbam desktop icon still there, for now.

I'm also thinking sideways and I have been having a slight niggle with CCleaner since the latest update to v5.10.5373, could be that CC is somehow clearing the path to the icons?
    I will report it over there and see if anyone else is seeing the same.

PS. About time for a Windows 10 sub-forum?
    (Come on Dave).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. nukecad

So after a bit of reading about various problems with desktop icons I rebuilt the Icon Cache Database following the instructions here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ed-image/3f1f7108-2984-4071-afd8-5bec9cceda38

All icon images are back to how they should be, for now, but I had got them back before using the 'properties' and they dissapeared again after a day or two.

Will see if rebuilding the cache has done the trick or if they go again in a couple of days.

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Well, I was going to suggest you rebuild the icon cache db but I see you found that solution already, and it worked! Great! It usually does but still good to hear.

FTR, I don't see this being a CCleaner problem - it is one of my favorite programs and I've not seen reports of similar problems. Some times the db just gets corrupt, other times it can be due to malicious activity. I would make sure your regular anti-malware program is updated, and then scan again with an updated MBAM too - just to be sure.

Thanks for coming back with a followup post and your solution. :)

4. nukecad

The icons are behaving themselves up to now after rebuilding the db.

Scans with Defender, SAS, and MBAM show no problems, so I guess it was just one of those unexplained things that happen now and again.

CCleaner is also one of my favourites, but there have been a few reported issues with the latest version, v5.10.5373, on the Piriform forum.
    Nothing drastic just a few niggles, with slow launching and unexpected error messages, etc.

5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

There typically are reported issues with every version. With millions and millions of users, each with their own unique computers, that is inevitable and more likely the result of something not right on their systems than a fault with CCleaner. If CCleaner was the evil beast many want us to believe, there would be millions and millions reports of problems all over the web, not just a few in the Piriform forum.