1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC died after Intel Driver Update

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by Davidjp, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Davidjp

Davidjp Established Techie7 Member

During a routine update my laptop installed an Intel Driver. I now have a dead computer, all I get is a black screen, the disk in use light is flashing but I get no response from the keyboard or mouse.

The laptop is an Asus N56Vj running Windows 10, with McAfee anti virus. The Asus support site is less than helpful and the machine is out of warranty anyway.

Whilst I am reasonably competent a completely unresponsive machine has me stumped. I would appreciate any help in getting access to return the machine to its pre update state. Needless to say, I didn't set up a W10 recovery partition.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Shine a flashlight into the screen and look very closely. Do you see the Windows desktop? If so, the backlight of your monitor has failed. If totally black - not sure what options you have but to try a different power supply to make sure you are getting power.

How do know this was caused by an Intel driver? Was that the only update? And did the problem occur immediately after installing this update?

3. Davidjp

Thanks for your quick reply.

I carried on fiddling around and I removed the power lead, took out the battery, pressed the power button and waited a couple of minutes before connecting it all up again. This time when I powered it up, it all came back to life.

Yes, the Intel update was the only update and it did occur immediately after installation.

Thanks again for your help.

4. Digerati

Great! I am glad it came back up!

Thanks for the followup! Now get that W10 recovery/backup going! ;)

5. Davidjp

Thanks. I was lucky that time. :oops:

I've just done it, I can do without that panic again.

Thanks for your support.

6. Digerati

lol! I hear you. I keep multiple backups - just in case.

7. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

David,

I am also getting these driver updates with Win10 Automatic Updates.

I've had them for Asus drivers and that Intel one last week.
    (No KB article with these because they are from the manufacturer not Microsoft).

However if you are having problems with these driver updates you can turn them off.

Follow the steps in this article:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10
    and select "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

Of course this means you have to go and check yourself if you want to update your drivers later.
    But how often are you going to be bothered if things are working anyway?

8. Davidjp

Thanks for your suggestion.

I followed the link and it seems there is a great deal of debate on whether this actually works in W10. Seems a lot of folks are finding that W10 actually ignores this selection and carries on with the install.

I'll select the option and wait and see what happens with the next driver update.

Thanks.

9. Digerati

It depends on the hardware. Note that Windows has a lot of basic drivers built in and it is those that may still get updated. At least that is my understanding.

10. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

As I understand this it turns off Third Party driver updates (Intel, Nvidia, Asus, etc) not Microsoft driver updates.

Ah, but you've turned it off so you won't see them anyway.

11. Davidjp

Decisions, decisions. To turn it on and not have control or off and miss important updates. That's the dilemma. It would be preferable to have the additional option to receive notifications and then decide whether to install or not.