1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booting troubles after restoring

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by Pvt. Jackass, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Pvt. Jackass

Pvt. Jackass Techie7 New Member

I'm trying to restore my Windows 8.1 installation from a single SSD to 2 SSD RAID0, after restoring Windows fails to boot. Windows does load properly when I restore it back to the single SSD though.

Currently I've noticed that whenever I run "bootrec /scanos" I wouldn't be able to detect my Windows installation and deleting BCD would allow ScanOS to detect Windows and RebuildBCD would detect it as well, but after rebuilding BCD both commands would return 0 Windows installation again Windows still won't boot. Also I've noticed that Windows will not allow me to restore to the second SSD, does the slot affect it in any way? (Trying to restore and switch slots now...)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I think the problem is when you restore your image, that includes the old single drive drivers and configuration. It has been awhile since I messed with RAID arrays. I have had better luck breaking them down and back into single disk setup than turning single disks into RAIDs.

See if this helps and note the link to Ryun's comments.

3. Pvt. Jackass

Thanks, I'll come back with the results once I try it.

4. Pvt. Jackass

Welp, none of those worked. That link didn't really give me much more than what I already know and Ryun's is restoring individual partitions which doesn't really help much in my case. I think it's mainly because my boot files are on its own partition. (Tried installing a fresh copy and restoring windows partition, same issue) And in my infinite wisdom I have formatted my OS hard disk after cloned the drive with EASEUS Todo. (Read that I have to boot it by itself without other hard drives so I formatted it instead because I'm too lazy to open my laptop again. Genius, right?) Good news is I have a backup. Bad news is I never did get the drive to boot so looks like I won't be able to clone it back onto the original drive.

Welp, fresh install here I come.

5. Digerati

How did it go?

6. Pvt. Jackass

Well I did a fresh install and had to reinstall most programs, no biggie. Just wanted to avoid it because a couple programs kinda being dicks about activation (I still have some left but I wanted to avoid using them and requesting resets/deactivations if possible), well at least Windows 10 upgrade doesn't actually screw with the registry so it seems fine.

7. Digerati

Not sure what you mean by that - W10 makes massive changes to the Registry. But it does try to keep all your settings during the upgrade.