1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usb disk drive

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by cyberwasp, Aug 7, 2015.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

I have one of those little Maxtor usb hard drives I use to keep copies of files on. Up until several months ago I could plug it in and it would automatically show up in windows explorer.

Lately though it hasn't sown up. I have to open the disk manaaer and assign it a drive letter. Is there a reason this is happening. TIA

2. janellesnip

janellesnip Established Techie7 Member

It could be corrupted in some way --
    open "my computer" or "this computer" and see whether the drive letter appears. If not, then your computer is not picking up its presence at all.

Best advice I have to offer: if you are able to somehow locate the drive, back it up.

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

What happens if you connect it to another computer?

4. nukecad

nukecad Established Techie7 Member

This is a control panel setting.

Control Panel > Autoplay > Removable drive > Open folder to view files (File Explorer)

janellesnip likes this.
  5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Could be a USB thing too. Sadly, USB is just not as consistent as promised. And even more sad is it does not seem to get better with each new version of USB. In fact, USB 3.0 seems have lots of problems with consistency when used with USB 2.0 devices and USB is supposed to be forwards and backwards compatible.

janellesnip likes this.