1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having difficulty connecting MSI laptop to wifi

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by Riftvalley, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Riftvalley

Riftvalley Established Techie7 Member

Hi,

I have an MSI laptop i7-3630QM@2.40GHz x64 processor.
    The wifi adpater is an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 135

I am having great difficulty connecting this to the internet.

When my wife's laptop is running I get a 'The connection is limited' message under networks.

When my wife's computer is shut down I can get my machine working properly by opening the network adapters, uninstalling the wireless adapter and re-booting the machine. (Sometimes I also get this message when my wife's machine is not running!

I have unticked the various power management options that allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

I did get a warning once that two devices were trying to use the same IP address. I have tried switching off the router for 24hrs etc. The router is a TalkTalk router that also serves the TV.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Many thanks Martin

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

You only have to switch off the router for about 10 seconds. I suggest you switch off AND unplug power for all the computers and TV, then unplug the router and your modem (unless modem is integrated with router). Wait a few seconds then plug in the modem and wait for lights to settle down. Then plug in the router and again, wait for the lights to settle down. Then one computer and make sure it connects. Then the next computer and then TV.

3. Riftvalley

Riftvalley Established Techie7 Member

Hi Digerati,

Many thanks for this. I have done most of this but it seems that when my wife's computer is switched on first it makes it difficult for my laptop to connect (my desktop is connected with and ethernet cable).

The reasons for switching the router/modem off for 24hrs was that is was convenient at that time. I always assumed that around 10 to 20 seconds was enough to change the IP address, but I read somewhere it can take longer.

It seems as if the two laptops are fighting for the same IP address. Either will work reasonably well alone, but when both are switched on the trouble starts.

When I go traveling I never have any trouble logging my MSI laptop onto local WiFi, it is only on the shared router at home :(.

I reset the browser on my wifes machine this morning and now everything seems to be working fine, thank you for your help, I am not sure whether this improvement is permanent - time will tell.

Thanks again and kind regards

Martin

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Could, especially if you connect when traveling and get the same IP.

Next time (or anytime), you can enter: ipconfig /all from a command prompt and it will show the assigned IP address. You can also enter your Router's admin menu and see the attached devices.

Anyway, I am glad it is sorted out for now. Let's hope it sticks.