1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

self booting

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by idr, Jan 31, 2015.

1. idr

idr Established Techie7 Member

Every day after work I clean my Win7 computer with Ccleaner and then I turn it off and wait till the red LED appears on the monitor.
    However lately I find in the morning my computer booted fully and ready for work.
    I work alone, the computer remains in a closed room and no person can intervene without my knowledge.
    What happens? Is it a software bug or some fault in the machine hardware? And how to prevent it?
    Thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Sadly, you told us nothing about this computer, except it is running W7. It sounds like a PC but could be a notebook.

Note that many things can wake a sleeping computer. And unless you flip the master power switch on the back of the PSU (if it has one) or unplug the computer, it is in some type of standby mode - as determined by "Wake on..." and Power settings in your BIOS Setup Menu. Your antimalware scanner may wake your computer to scan your system, for example. So might Windows Update. If "Wake on LAN" is enabled, that could allow someone with remote access to wake your computer. I would make sure that is disabled.

For sure, you need to scan your computer to make sure it is not infected.

Speccy (from the makers of CCleaner) will tell you when the computer was last booted and that might give you a clue.

And by the way, you don't need to run CCleaner every day. CCleaner is one of my favorite programs but running it slows down your computer and boot times. It slows down your computer because it resets all of Windows "fetch" settings. These are settings Windows uses to load your favorite apps faster. When CCleaner (and other cleaning programs) clears those settings, Windows has to learn your preferences again and that takes a few computing sessions. Running CCleaner daily starts learning from the beginning each time.

And it can slow your boot times because many files cannot be deleted when Windows is running so CCleaner marks those files for deletion during the next boot, delaying further the loading of your favorite programs. No harm is done, but it is just not needed.

I run CCleaner about every two weeks or so.

3. idr

idr Established Techie7 Member

Thanks Digerati, and yes, it's a PC. Please explain only how do I find the "Wake on LAN" option.
    Thanks again

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

It depends on your BIOS Setup Menu options. There is no standard so you just have to hunt around for the option. Or, since the default is disabled, you could reset the BIOS and those instruction will be in your manual.