1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing sound

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by mthkumudo, Jul 26, 2014.

1. mthkumudo

mthkumudo Established Techie7 Member

For some strange reason I tried to play a music and got the this message. "Windows cannot access this specific device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." I was playing this disc yesterday, now nothing. Any suggestions. I also in the process seemed to have lost my sound. I've gone to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, and everything seems ok.
    mthumudo

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

This is often corrected by a simple, but full reboot. Exit Windows normally and power off the computer, then unplug the computer from the wall for about 10 seconds. This removes all the standby voltages normally present across many points on the motherboard when the system is simply shut down. Then connect power, boot and try again.

Also, make sure your system is fully updated and clean of malware.

3. mthkumudo

mthkumudo Established Techie7 Member

Digerati, sorry for the delay, had to go to a wedding which was a bit of a ride. Tried what you suggested and the problem didn't go away. For years I had been using Irfanview for my music, and other things. I took away the music portion of Irfanview and downloaded VLC Media Player and I can get the music that way. Still can't get the music on Windows Media Player. Thanks for the info.
    thkumudo

4. Digerati

Less than 24 hours is hardly a delay - especially over a weekend. No apology needed. The fact you hear music says your sound hardware works. That's good, but it moves the problem out of my comfort zone. :( Since the problem appeared just a couple days ago, you might try restoring with System Restore to a restore point just before the problem started.

5. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

IrfanView is an image editing program, how did you use it to play music?

Edit:
    Never mind. Just found out there are plugins for IrfanView. I've been using it for years and didn't know that.

6. Digerati

I didn't know that either. That's what I love about forums - no matter how much you know, there is always more to learn, and forums like this are excellent places to do that. :)