1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE10 and custom themes

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by Conercao, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Conercao

Conercao Established Techie7 Member

Hi everyone,

I've been running custom themes since Windows 7 came out and I've never had any issues with this until now. With the upgrade to IE10, it seems IE breaks when dealing with custom themes.

After install of 10, it no longer loads or displays any window. If I remove the patch from my system IE 10 works, but as soon as I put it back on, IE reverts to its previous behaviour.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have moved the Command Module to the bottom of my explorer window (see screenshot). I understand that this is a change of shell32.dll..... could this by why IE refuses to work?

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Not really my area but if me, and this is a "Windows" theme, I am not sure simply removing the IE patch would be good enough to ensure all hooks and settings were restored, before installing again. So if me, I would uninstall these installed "Windows" themes completely. Then I would install IE11 - since IE11 is where you should be with W7 anyway, then try your themes again.

3. Conercao

Seems like it was the modification of the shell32.dll file. I removed the patched file and now IE11 works fine, but my command module has moved back to the top of the screen :( Oh well... can't stay on IE9 forever....

4. Digerati

Command module?

You might try running sfc /scannow to see what happens.

5. Conercao

Yeah, the Command Module (at least that's what Visual Style Builder calls it) in the attached screenshot

Attached Files:

6. Digerati

I believe you mean the "Command Bar" - a toolbar. Right-click on the top of your page and see if Command Bar is checked.

7. Conercao

I've already resolved the issue, thanks for your insight though

8. Digerati

Please note tech support forums like Techie7 are all about "sharing information" so others may benefit from our experiences. Telling us you resolved your "command module" problem without telling us how you resolved it, helps no one, but you.

So how about sharing what you learned?

9. Conercao

I unpatched my shell32.dll and now IE works. It seems that moving the command bar/module to the bottom of your explorer window breaks something within IE versions later than 9. If anyone has IE9 or later working with the command bar/module at the bottom I would be interested in how they have achieved this.

10. Digerati