1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by theoldandgrey, Mar 14, 2014.

1. theoldandgrey

theoldandgrey Established Techie7 Member

I'm trying to assist an elderly friend whose WLM has gone haywire. She is unable to receive e-mails in her Quick View Box. The only ones showing are those from 2011 and backwards. I have checked that her e-mails from her two accounts - Talktalk and Gmail are retained on the servers. I have reset all her Properties. Repaired WLM and uninstalled WLM 12 and then re-did that but reinstalled 2011. Quick Views is showing in the left hand pane. All her e-mails pop up at the appropriate time in her two IN-boxes so I am just totally confused. Please can someone put me out of my misery?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hmmm, well I had a possible solution until I re-read your post and saw that you did a "Repair". :(

Do note gmail can be set to retain all emails on the server. Is she using POP3 or IMAP?

3. theoldandgrey

Yes gmail is set to POP3 and Talktalk to IMAP and both are retaining on server

4. Digerati

It is normal for mail to stay on the server with IMAP so you can log in from different computers and see the email. With POP3, you have to tell the server side to keep the emails as normally they are deleted once pulled down by a user. But if you go out to gmail settings, you can tell gmail to keep them there. So you may need to check the server side settings for her accounts.

Some reports showed where the user accidently set WLN to work in off-line mode. Can you send email?

If a repair did not work, you may need to uninstall and reinstall - which may destroy all her saved mail a backup (or export) may be wise.

5. theoldandgrey

Yes she can send and receive messages to the individual Inboxes in WLM it is just that they don't seem to go into Quick View, so she opens the individual inboxes each time. Just wanted to make things easier for her. I have already uninstalled and re-installed but the problem remains

6. Digerati

7. theoldandgrey

Was almost certain it was switched on, phoned and checked and went through tutorial with her so all is switched on. We still are not getting the e-mails which go into the inbox of gmail and Talktalk showing in Quick View.

8. Digerati

I am at a loss here, especially since you have done a total reinstall. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will stop by.

If me, I might try a different email client. Perhaps Thunderbird instead of WLM to see if something is blocking WLM, for some reason - a wayward firewall setting, for example.

Did you scan for malware? Is Windows otherwise fully updated?

9. theoldandgrey

Thanks for the help although no luck this time. I do not know about Thunderbird as to whether it will give her the "Quick View" scenario. Will check in due course. Windows 7 is up to date will check Firewall and for malware. Thanks for suggestions - if anyone has further thoughts please post Thanks to all

10. Digerati

The more I look into this problem, the more widespread I see it is. Not only that, but it seems to have been around for many years too.

But there is no common fix. :( And many times, "it just starts working again" - which is of no help to those where it does not work.

Thunderbird will download email from all her accounts and put them in one inbox. Something similar can be so be done with MailWasher Pro which is what I use to "handle" my emails from 8 different accounts - as well as block spam. MWP provides a new UI to handle your mail. By handle, I mean you can view, delete, filter out spam, and even reply from MWP. Once you have cleared MW's inbox of the less, or not important emails, the remaining "keepers" can then be downloaded to your computer with your regular email program (T-Bird, Outlook, etc).

MW's biggest advantage is you process your emails on the servers, not your system as MW only downloads enough of the email in "plain text" so you can screen email (and block malicious and unwanted email) before downloading onto your system.

But installing either of those is NOT a fix for WLM. :(

I think if me, I would totally uninstall WLM again using this procedure: The ‘Complete’ Uninstall/Reinstall Method For Windows Live Mail. I think something is remaining behind when you just use the Control Panel applet to uninstall.

11. theoldandgrey

Thanks so much for your continued research. I will look at her pc yet again just after the w/e and will try to clear the garbage with your suggested method (you've always come up trumps for me before!) I think she would feel happier with something she already knows but you never can tell so if the clear out doesn't work I will download one or other and talk her through it. Many, many thanks

12. Digerati

Well, sorry I came up with nothing certain. Please keep us posted.

13. theoldandgrey

Will do as if we solve it, maybe someone else can benefit

14. Digerati

Yeah, that's the whole idea of posting updates - so we can benefit from each others' experiences.

15. theoldandgrey

Hurray! Problem solved! Not too sure how or why but I took your suggestion of uninstalling WLM again. I then deleted the wayward registry folders, then thought about fiddling with the Store Folders which at that time I failed to find so went straight to a re-install. After re-setting the e-mail accounts all was operating successfully. I hope the ideas help others too. Thanks so much for your help. I have a delighted friend who now sees everything is easy to manage.:)

16. Digerati

Great! Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for coming back with a followup post! :)