1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win 8.1 Admin

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help' started by bobinfleet, Jan 27, 2014.

1. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Established Techie7 Member

Hi, I recently installed win 8.1 on a new hd and was happy with it apart from having to put my password in every time I turned the computer on. I have now adjusted the settings so it starts without a password, but I have found I have no admin power (not sure if I ever did) does anyone know how I get to log on as admin?

2. dealdimer

dealdimer Techie7 New Member

You can still activate Administrator from Users & Login with Administrator with out any password.
    If you want your own user just grant permissions.

3. bobinfleet

unfortunately when I try I keep getting a user account control box asking for a password but with no box to type one in

4. makrima

makrima Techie7 New Member

5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

When you look at User Accounts under Control Panel, what does it say for your account type?

6. bobinfleet

Hi Digerati, on the account I am a guest, strange as I am the only person using this computer, and there does not seem a way that I can change it.

7. Digerati

If you enter lusrmgr.msc in search, what do you see for users?

8. bobinfleet

this snapin may not be used with this edition of win 8.1 to manage user accounts for this computer use the user accounts tool in the control panel.

9. Digerati

10. bobinfleet

unfortunately that doesn't work in 8.1

11. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

12. bobinfleet

ok, not sure what exactly happened but I now have control, (I think it was doing a restore). I am now able to log in as admin with a password. now to log in without a password.
    thanks for all the help