1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop has abandoned me :)

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by deviantdigi, Jan 20, 2014.

1. deviantdigi

deviantdigi Established Techie7 Member

Greetings,
    I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I figured I'd post it here being general.

So about 2 days ago, whenever I use Photoshop CS6, I have to reset my PC. When using the program, it's fine at first, then starts to lag a little, then lags a lot, and then freezes. When it gets to the "lags a lot" stage, I can't even ALT+F4. Its not the usual system jitter, there is no chance of recovery. I disabled the GPU options within the program. It ran alot better, far more stable.

I thought I had a work around, until I tried to start up a game, I get this: http://imgur.com/vTNBAss
    (I've seen this about 3 times now.) If I start up the game, without ever have started photoshop, this crash doesn't happen.

Why just not use photoshop? I need just photoshop. Like a Apple fanboy needs the iphone.

Debugging: I immediately reinstalled Photoshop. Then cleaned my drives, startup etc, and defragmented(3%). Checked for malware, I'm "clean" given the AV databases. I know FUD, I don't suspect, but ya' never know. I updated my gfx driver. Device manager looks error free. Reseated my RAM and GPU. But that damn photoshop.

It really sucks because my system has always been really stable for me. Call it an discovered insecurity.

Google was not my friend on this one. Anyone have a hunch before I go spending millions on new hardware or formatting into the abyss?
    _
    AMD Phenom II x4 820 / 2.8 ghz
    4 GB RAM
    Win 7 ULT 64 bit
    3 monitors: Setup as either two monitors or 1 32" LCD.
    64GB SSD for boot
    130 GB HDD for storage
    _
    G510 Logitech Keyboard
    Razer DeathAdder

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Is W7 updated to SP1?

Is PS CS6 updated to 13.0.1.1?

Your image "suggests" a graphics issue, but I would not rule out memory. You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information,
    or
    MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here,
    or
    Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool. Vista users can test with Vista's Memory Diagnostics.​

Note, however, that software based RAM diagnostic tools are good, but not conclusive. So you might try running with just a single RAM module to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination.

BTW, while 4Gb of RAM is technically enough, Windows 7, especially 64-bit Windows 7, loves lots of RAM. Once this is settled, I would suggesting bumping your RAM up to 8Gb.

3. deviantdigi

I know I'm "light" on RAM, Win7 64 and drawing/games/editing etc in all, but I have been getting by with little to no lag. Therefore, I haven't had a need to upgrade.

Currently I'm running Win7 SP1 and PS v13.0.1.2. PS version previously was 13.0.1.1.

Good idea on process of elimination.

I'm using Win7 Service Pack 1 and PS v13.0.1.2. PS was v13.0.1.1. The gfx card is a AMD Radeon HD 6770 2gb, forgot to mention.

I'll run memtest86 and report back. Hopefully it is a memory error, so I'll have a reason to upgrade to 8 GB :p

4. deviantdigi

Disregard this post :)

5. deviantdigi

Blue screened of death today! Yey? ... I got that crash image posted in the OP, but then it blue screened right after.

Ran 6 passes of memtest86 today. 3 on each separate memory stick. No errors. I'll do more tomorrow. I found a decent deal for 8GB's for $40, so I went ahead and ordered them. Even if its not the RAM causing the problem, its an upgrade and one less "thing".

Mobo = Foxconn A76GMV. "D

Should I format?

6. deviantdigi

Went to reboot today after running some more memtest (no errors), and all of a sudden I got no display. Just blackness, but Windows was booting.

I looked at one of my monitor's cable and it looks like to was beginning to fray near one of the adapters. I got rid of that cable and it booted fine, but could this be the source for the other issue? With one display, photoshop was running without any problems (only tried it once), it didn't lag or freeze. A game started up fine, but that nothing definite.

Maybe this just lightened the load on the GPU, maybe a short? Idk.

7. deviantdigi

Just an update, I think this is solved. Well...

Tried the RAM thing, tried the GPU thing. It must have been a bad monitor cable lol. It hasn't crashed in days since I replaced them.