1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

odd icon behavior

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by cyberwasp, Jan 5, 2014.

1. cyberwasp

cyberwasp Established Techie7 Member

my fiends system is having icon identity problems. for instance, if she goes to start and finds the windows explorer icon and click on it, it opens fine. but, if she pins it to the task bar it will change the icon to a different programs icon, like word. but if she click to open it, it opens Internet explorer.

I did an sfc /scannow and it reported no integrity violations. Is there a virus or malware that would do this and is there an easy fix. When I left I started a mailwarebytes scan. TIA

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Would like to know the results. And sadly, we nothing of this "system" either, except we can assume it runs W7.

You said Windows Explorer in your opening sentence, then said Internet Explorer in the next. They are totally different programs. Internet Explorer is the browser and Windows Explorer lets you view the folders and files on your computer, run programs and the like.

We need to be on the same page here.

Is the computer otherwise fully updated? What full time anti-malware solution is used? Is it current?

3. cyberwasp

ok, the system is an hp running windows 7. All the updates available have been applied. Malwarebytes has found nothing
    The problem is this:
    1) click on windows explorer under the start menu. windows explorer opens
    2) R-click on windows explorer under the start menu and tell it to pin it to the task bar. The icon pins to the task bar but the icon changes to the MS word icon.
    3) when you click on the windows explorer icon on the task bar, "which now has the MS word icon," INTERNET EXPLORER opens.

Its as basic as I can explain it without showing you.

4. Digerati

I understand what you are saying now. I just wanted to make sure the differences between Window Explorer and Internet Explorer were understood. Thanks to their similar names, many get them confused.

I am glad MBAM found nothing but would feel more comfortable if I knew she was using a full time anti-malware solution too. The free version of MBAM is not full time, but on-demand only so everyone needs a real-time scanner running full time too. Then use MBAM for supplemental scanning just to be sure.

See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2396571

5. cyberwasp

You guys are the best. The Microsoft fixit did the job. Thank you very much!

6. Digerati

Thanks! I am glad that sorted the problem out and thanks for the followup.