1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

occasional show-up

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by talkingrock, Jan 2, 2014.

1. talkingrock

talkingrock Established Techie7 Member

Every once in awhile, when I hit enter, a page shows that is some advertisement, and the page has nothing to do with the topic or site I am at. I understand this has something to do with a particular virus, that it acts this way. My virus checker always comes up clean, so this is some residual action. I am using Avast, which has proven to be a good filter, but this one got in between when one antivirus system expired, and Avast was put in. Ideas on how to get this action stopped?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Normally, I ALWAYS recommend EVERYONE have two anti-malware programs, one running in real-time and another to use for manual supplemental scanning just to make sure nothing sneaked by you, or your primary scanner. And I generally recommend Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) for that. The free version is great for that but also note MBAM Pro is worth considering because MBAM Pro coexists well with other real-time solutions (typically a problem when running two real-time solutions at once), it has a low initial one-time cost, and no recurring renewal fees).

That said, since you feel you may already be infected, I recommend you have one of our malware removal experts have a look at your machine. Please read this then start a new topic here.