1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty file on desktop removal

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by tallin, Dec 22, 2013.

1. tallin

tallin Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I have the following file on my desktop, it is empty, and relates to a Video file of the same file name that is in My Pictures folder. I have tried all the usual ways of deleting it to no avail namely:
    1. Right click and scroll to delete (see attachments)
    2. Dragging to the recycle bin
    3. Renaming, which does not work
    Any ideas how to get rid of it from the desktop?

kind regards,

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

That is really odd. Does it appear in Safe Mode? Can you delete it from Safe Mode?

You might try MoveOnBoot. It will let you tag the file to be deleted early-on during the next boot cycle, before Windows or any application can set hooks in it.

3. tallin

Thanks for your reply Digerati. I downloaded, installed and ran MoveonBoot, however after the reboot the file is still sitting on my desktop sadly. I have not yet tried Safe Mode as I am not keen on it to be honest. May try after the busy holiday time.

kind regards

4. Digerati

Unless MoveOnBoot reported problems during the file selection process, I am guessing it was re-created during the boot process. There is probably a routine that says if not there, recreate. That might not be a malicious thing, but I would still scan the heck out of that machine.

You may need to go digging around in the Registry for it. Is the file name always the same? You might also try booting from the install or another bootable disk and remove it from there, then see if it comes back.

You might also check out unlocker.

5. tallin

Unlocker did the trick, your a genius as usual. Before I used Unlocker, I put a search for it in the registry, nothing found. Quite odd I thought, however it is now gone and I do thank you for your advice and assistance.

best regards,

6. Digerati

No, just a lucky guess. Glad it worked. Unlocker should have told you what program had it locked. Do you remember what it said.

7. tallin

No darn it, I did not look, was so pleased it was there to unlock I executed it without further ado....

best regards,

8. Digerati

No problem. Thanks for the followup and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

9. tallin

AND a great Christmas to you and family along with a safe and prosperous New Year to all here on Techie7.

Best regards,