1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little niggles

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by xero, Dec 16, 2013.

1. xero

xero Established Techie7 Member

I have been cleared of any malware issues by Broni, and celebrated the event by making a backup of my C drive, one I can be confident of.
    There are just a couple of little issues that are bothering me.
    This is a bit left field, I have Adobe Lightroom, and any time that I connect a thumb drive or the ATI/ATAPI bridge to my external HDD Lightroom opens, and sometimes WMP will open also. Sometimes I get the normal dialog box with a list of options including "Open folder to view contents" which is what I want to do, but I cannot select this in time before Lightroom kicks in. It is irritating and time wasting and if you can suggest a fix that would be helpful.
    Also whenever I want to remove a thumb drive I click on the icon, choose "eject xyz" and then still get the noise from the computer when I take the drive out, is that normal for Win 7?
    Finally a lot of people are worried about the Cryptokiller trojan, and ransomeware more generally. How much of a threat is it and what files does it attack? I don't have spare external HDD space to back up everything. One thing I read says it mostly goes for Office or Open org files.
    Finally in Computer one of my hard drives is displaying a red line instead of a blue one; the drive has 104gb of 1.31tb of storage available, so it is not in imminent danger of being full, so what does the red line mean?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Not sure why Lightroom starts but my guess is an ini file or something similar that runs whenever inserted. You might move those files to a subfolder.

Yes, it is normal to hear the noise.

CryptoLocker is very dangerous, but if you keep your system current, use a real-time anti-malware solution, are NOT click-happy on unsolicited attachments, downloads and links, you will be fine.

3. xero

xero Established Techie7 Member

Hi Digerati,
    Thanks for that, put my mind at ease. And as luck would have it Lightroom, and WMP, have finally learned and have stopped lighting up on every thumb drive insertion.
    You did not address my question about why one of the hard drives is showing a red line. I have had nearly full thumb drives show the red line, so is it something to do with being close to capacity?
    Do you know of a free real time anti-malware app, that you would recommend?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013