1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows won't update

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by xero, Dec 1, 2013.

1. xero

xero Established Techie7 Member

I have twice failed to install a Windows update, KB2902885.
    It says that it is an update for Microsoft Security Essentials, however the dialog that pops up says it cannot find the path, which is to the D drive, and mentions AMD.
    I am puzzled why such an update would not be looking for a home on the C drive, and the connection between AMD and MSE is not clear, not to me anyway.
    Has anyone had an issue with this update?
    And by the by, what font is used on this forum? I like the way it does numbers.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

It seems there are a few others with problems with this same update, but I have not found a report that includes a solution. :( Do you have another anti-malware program installed along with MSE?

You might try resetting Windows Update. If that does not help, try uninstalling MSE, rebooting, the re-installing MSE from here: Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

There is a folder on all Windows system called AMD64. AMD came out with a 64-bit CPU first. So Microsoft created that folder to 64-bit code (regardless if using an AMD or Intel CPU) . It is used by Windows Update.

As for the font, not sure but when I copy some text into MS Word, it says it is the "Trebuchet MS" font.

3. xero

Hi Digerati,
    I don't have another AV app installed. I do have mbam, SuperAntispyware, and Spybot.
    I tried restting Windows Update from your first link; it found errors it could not fix, so I attempted to uninstall MSE, and I was not able to. I get the same error message regarding the path "d:\6071b9cd21918504b2\amd64\."
    I do have a folder, with a padlocked icon, on the D drive, but the numbers (9176170fc0ab2d0b1d46) do not match that path, and getting into the folder involves going through properties and the security tab, and I don't find an item called amd.msi
    Perplexed, but thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

4. Digerati

MBAM and SAS are fine. Spybot, IMO, has seen its day long passed and if me, I would uninstall it. At the very least, disable any real-time component to it - specifically TeaTimer.

You might try uninstalling MSE with using these instructions. If still no luck then maybe try RevoUninstaller.

5. xero

Also I did find the file "epp" in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Backup\amd64, but the system said it was not a valid install file. Go figure.
    The error code on the failed update was 0x8002885.
    I am out of ideas, and wonder if KB 2092885 is important enough to worry about.

And neither of those links worked, Revo Uninstaller cannot "see" MSE. Will take your advice about Spybot.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. Digerati

You seem to be having problems that I sure don't understand. If MSE is really installed, I don't see why Revo cannot see it.

If go to your Windows Update and click on View Update History, do you see KB2902885?

Perhaps someone else with more expertise in this area than me will stop by.

7. xero

Hi Digerati,

I did search of installed updates for KB2902885, and it wasn't there. Not surprising as it has failed to install. Among the puzzles is there does not seem to be anything in the Program files with definitions or updates, which seems odd for a security app.

What would happen if I installed the downloaded new version of MSE from the link you posted earlier?

I might try that in the morning, too tired to think atm.

Cheers

8. Digerati

I don't see it making matters worse but it may correct any problems with the current installation. So to me, it is worth a try.

Have you run current scans with MBAM just to make sure nothing malicious is happening here?

9. xero

Hi Dig,

Well attempting to install the new copy of MSE failed but was instructive. When the install began the files were extracted to the D drive, probably because it is the drive with the most free space. After that it looked for the same epp.msi file in the folder it had just created (AMD), and could not find it. This is a bit bizarre, MS installer extracts a file then moments later cannot find it.

The installation was not an install but an upgrade, hence it detected the current edition of MSE, so we have established that MSE is installed, and explained why it is looking at the D drive for files. And due to a balls up I accidentally uninstalled mbam. So I downloaded a new copy and installed, updated and ran a scan with it. It came up clean.

About the only idea I have left is Eraser and that seems a bit heavy handed, and would not necessarily remove MSE from the list of programs in the Uninstall dialog. I don't want to go down that path.

10. Digerati

No, MSE installs on the boot drive. If that is D, it will install (or attempt to install) on D. If C, it will install on C. It does not look for the drive with the most free space.

Eraser will "wipe" your drive. This is typically done to ensure no "personal" data remains when you give away or discard a computer/drive. I don't see why you need to do that.

11. xero

Hi Digerati,

MSE may well be supposed to install on the boot drive, however when I tried installing the new copy it extracted files to the D drive, I saw it with my own eyes.

The idea of using Eraser was not to wipe the drive, just the MSE files, and I was feeling a bit desperate at the time I suggested that. If I wiped the drive I would be back at a clean install situation, which I don't want to do.

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" (With apologies to William Shakespeare.)

12. Digerati

The fact it wants to install to D tells me your OS is on D. If you unplug power to the D drive, your computer will boot to the C drive with no problems?

13. xero

I tried disconnecting the D drive, and the new copy of MSE extracted to the G drive! (The two drives after D are partitioned so there is E and F, then G and H)
    Disconnecting all drives but the C drive still booted the computer, proving the OS is on the C drive. And with only the C drive connected MSE extracted to the C drive. But when it wanted that epp.msi file the dialog box still had a path to the D drive. When I pointed it at the C drive folder created by MSE (with the Browse button) the epp.msi file was not found, so the upgrade still failed. Similarly trying to uninstall the existing MSE failed for the same reason, could not find epp.msi.
    The weird thing about this is that in that AMD folder on the D drive is a file called "epp" and it is described as a Microsoft Installer file, so it won't see what is under it's own nose.
    All drives are now reconnected.
    I am getting frustrated by this issue, if I have to I will do a clean install, but the whole idea of creating a drive image with Acronis was to avoid clean installs. It isn't Windows, that is quite quick, it is all the stuff after it that takes the time. Still there is a 5 day Test match (cricket, 6 hours a day for 5 days and the match could be a draw; mad dogs and Englishmen, and Australians too ...) starting tomorrow and I could do it then, moving from couch to computer and back. Still an unappealing option though.
    Another thing that is happening atm, usually just after start up, is a dialog telling me that the Common Software Manager has stopped working. I don't know if that means anything or not.
    You have to admit that the "Trebuchet MS" font does do nice numbers.
    Over to you, and thanks for persisting I do appreciate it. :)

14. Digerati

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  15. xero

Hi Digerati,
    The hyperlink to the Wiki does not work.
    Definitely Common Software Manager, tried to get a screenshot but it only copied text:
    [Window Title]

"Common Software Manager

[Main Instruction]

Common Software Manager has stopped working

[Content]

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

[Close the program]"

I am getting my ducks in a row for a clean install, don't want to but if there is no other way ...

16. Digerati

Sorry - I am having problems getting used to this new forum software. Link fixed.

That does not seem to be a Windows or Microsoft error. Bing keeps going back to Event Manager and Google only shows a couple hits for Software Manager and they refer to Macrovision, Flexnet and Acresso. Perhaps something in that Google search will help.

17. xero

Hi Digerati,
    That link works now and the MS Fix It uninstalled MSE, hooray!
    I also used another computer to make a Hitman Pro Kickstart USB, that mention of a rootkit was quite unsettling. Thankfully it found nothing, phew.
    I made another attempt to install MSE, the new copy, and it extracted to the D drive, again. I wasn't having that so installed Avast again. Due to some error it failed to install Google Chrome, LO bloody L!
    I know it is bloated but at least I will be able to uninstall it if I need to.
    The Common Software Manager issue turned out to be an issue with Dragon, trying to update itself. Haven't even used it yet, waiting till I have the $ for a good microphone.
    So I think we are all clear here. Yippee!!!
    Thank you very much for all your help, it is greatly appreciated and I am delighted I do not have to do a clean install.
    Wishing that Santa brings you whatever you have asked for, you have definitely been good! And Happy New Year too.
    Cheers :)

18. xero

My other computer, the one I used to create the Hitman Pro flash drive, is running 32 bit XP.
    Seeing it was turned on, which doesn't happen a lot, I decided to update it.
    It installed KB2902885 with no problems. Go figure.

19. Digerati

With all the odd problems you are having installing and uninstalling, I think you should have one of our malware removal experts take a look at your system. Please read this then start a new topic here.