1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Windows Media Player in 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by xero, Oct 9, 2013.

1. xero

xero Established Techie7 Member

Since I got sound to work on this computer I have had a problem with WMP. In a nutshell it sounds as though a CD is skipping, and occasionally 1-2 seconds of silence before the track resumes, and this happens with mp3 and flac files, including stuff I have ripped from my own CDs.
    Initially I thought it was a sound card problem and the shop replaced the sound card with a more recent version of the same card. The problem continued.
    Exasperated I tried using VLC and since using VLC have not had a problem with the skipping sound.
    Is there a known issue with WMP in Win 7? How can I get a new copy of the player? Alternatively how can I make VLC the default player?

2. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Hi xero
    You can get WMP from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546
    To make VLC your default player go to Control panel.
    In that window if its not selected already. Go to the View by drop down menu and select small icons.
    This will allow you to view all Control Panel options.
    Now select Default Programs.
    In that window select, Set your default programs.
    Now select VLC Media Player. You now can see and option to Set this as default.
    Select this and VLC with become your default media player.

Jim23

3. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

4. xero

Hi Jim,
    I downloaded the 64bit option from that link and got a message "This update is not applicable to your computer." Not sure what is meant by 7KN.
    I tried the uninstall, restart and reinstall procedure and the first song had a skip in it. Also the player will no longer play flac files, which it did before with Open Codecs installed, and reinstalled. It will play flacs if I right click and select Play with WMP, that is what I had to do in XP.
    I can't find anywhere to download a new version of WMP 12, ...confused.

5. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Sorry about the 7KN version this is for the Korean market, where local laws required.
    Its the only version of WMP 12 available for download from Microsoft.
    Have you tried Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter, click on the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel.
    In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
    Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings to run the troubleshooter.
    Then run the troubleshooter for Windows Media Player Library in the same way.
    Check to see if Disable all enhancement is selected by selecting the speaker in the notification area and clicking on it.
    This will bring up speaker properties. Select the enhancement tab and ensure Disable all enhancements is selected.
    If that corrects it there is a possibility its sound-card driver problem.
    So checking to see if you have the correct updated driver for your sound-card and resintalling the drivers could correct the problem.
    I would also run Scannow.sfc to check your windows files.
    An how on Scannnow can be found here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html.
    Hope that helps.

Jim23

6. xero

Hi Jim,
    I tried the troubleshooter, it told me that the speakers were not connected. This was whilst listening to music! The sound card has connections for 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 and I have only 2.1 connected.
    I then did the sfc/scannow and it revealed a number of errors. I did this two or three days ago, I have been waiting to get back to you while testing that WMP is truly fixed,and I have not had a problem since the scan.
    The log is 980kb, too long to post here.
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

7. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Hi xero

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.
    Thanks for getting back.

Jim23

8. xero

Hi Jim,
    Your comment suggests to me that some people do not write back to say thanks. Considering that the help here is first rate, and free, I find that disappointing.
    BTW does that sfc/scannow command work in XP? Just curious, I was impressed with how it solved my problem, a positive rap for MS diagnostics.

9. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Hi xero

sorry for late reply been away.
    But yes sfc/scannow it works in XP also

Jim23