1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to log in to Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by tallin, Mar 20, 2013.

1. tallin

tallin Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I am running Chrome, however I am unable to log into Chrome with my Gmail account details. IE is fine, I can log in when running my second choice browser. I have tried everything possible after researching this issue.
    • Uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled several times
    • Cleared cookies and browser history
    • Added another user to Chrome as suggested (made no difference)
    • Cleared all extensions as suggested
    The reason for logging off in the first place was the blue circular loading icon got the shivers although Chrome was working fine, but I decided to log off and reboot however that did not stop the shivers after rebooting.

I attach a shot of the error message when I click the Chrome icon to load Chrome, if I click okay Chrome loads, but I still cannot log in. Referring to the attachment I can assure that my profile is in existence and I can edit it within IE browser.

Anyone any idea what the issue is? is it Chrome's end or my end.

I booted up my reserve Laptop which runs Windows XP and Chrome, there is no issue with Chrome and all is working fine.

kind regards,

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

But did you try deleting your profile? Your profile could not be opened correctly. Full & final fix....

3. tallin

Thanks for your reply Digerati,

I have now deleted my profile, however although Chrome is working as it was before this issue started, I still cannot sign in to Chrome, but I can log in to Gmail. Of course I saved my Chrome Bookmarks to the desktop before deleting my profile. When I attempt to sign in, I get the following
    I found this link Create a new browser user profile - Google Chrome Help but again I cannot find what I am directed to do for Windows 7.
    None of the suggestions worked from the link you gave me, only your suggestion to delete my profile enabled me to see Chrome as it once was without being signed in. I am now currently the only Google Chrome 'user'.

So to clarify, Chrome is working fine, but I cannot sign in which I don't think will change much if I could as all is well. Just a bit irritating that is all.

kind regards,

4. Digerati

This is really odd.

You cannot find the folder?

Note %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ for most users is (using mine as an example): C:\users\Bill\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data and under there is the folder "Default" they are talking about.

5. tallin

Almost correct. I cannot find "Default" (see attachment) when using C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\

Hidden files and folders are enabled in case that is relevant.

Thanks for your effort here.

kind regards,

6. tallin

A follow up to my earlier post - I am convinced that I cannot "Create a new Profile" while ever I cannot find the "Default" and Web data folders as shown in my attachment earlier. Searching in RUN:

C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\

or

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ both give the same result as the attachment shows.

I have researched the following links which all need me to find the "Default" folder to proceed.

How Can I Fix my Google Chrome Profile Error? - Google Chrome - iFixit

How to solve "Your profile could not be opened correctly" issue in Chrome or Chromium without losing your profile | God, Your Book Is Great !!

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/_7z1uOcnQtY[1-25-true]

I have also searched Windows thoroughly to no avail for the above folders. All odd I know, but my computer is running perfectly, (even Chrome) except for not being able to sign in to Chrome.

kind regards,

7. Digerati

I don't have any folders called Profilex (where x is some number) in my Chrome\User Data folder.

You might try deleting that Profile3 folder but I think if me, I would uninstall Chrome completely again, then look in that C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Google folder to make sure the Chrome folder and everything in it has been deleted - especially any Profilex folders. Then reboot to clear any hooks. And, personally, I would run CCleaner's Registry cleaner to make sure any orphaned entries are gone. Then reboot again and try installing Chrome once more.

8. tallin

I was about to follow your latest suggestions when I thought I would have one more try to find "Default". Start > search > Chrome > open file location > "25.0.264.172" > open > default_apps > renamed to default2 > exit. In bold is my version of Chrome installed.

Opened Chrome, signed in successfully so all is now complete. None of the internet help links directed me to do this, so we learn everyday don't we? Just a lucky guess on my part.

thank you very much Digerati for all your help with this nagging issue - much appreciated.

Do you think an update in the future of Chrome could spoil this success at all?

best regards,:clap:
    View attachment 2840

9. Digerati

Well, I don't think I had anything to do with you solving this but I am glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting your solution.