1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regbak for Windows7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by tallin, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tallin

tallin Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Since running Windows 7 Premium I have been unable to get Erunt to automatically backup my registry on boot up.

Doing some research I found RegBak
    Version: 1.4 Size: 332 KB (zip) Platforms: Windows 2000, 32/64-bit Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7, 8

I download it, ran it which is very simple, saved it to my Maintenance folder and will manually run it periodically to back up my registry. No installation was necessary so it does not backup automatically on startup as Erunt does on my XP computer.

Anyone had experience with it? Comments would be appreciated.

kind regards,

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I have not had the urge to regularly backup my Registry since migrating to Windows 7. I have that much confidence in W7. I do run ERUNT manually before I make major changes to my system, and of course, whenever I make changes to my Registry, however, I have not had to use those backups. Unless you make a lot of significant changes to your system almost daily, there really is no need to run backups every day. Especially if you are disciplined at keeping current backups of your critical data, and/or images of your disks.

That said, ERUNT does run on Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit) though you do need to disable UAC. Did you do that? I also found where other users seem to have problems the autobackup feature and to get around that, they simply ran ERUNT via the Task Scheduler.

As for that program, it seems like a decent alternative, but I have no experience with it, and cannot find any 3rd party reviews for it either. The real test is to make a backup, then destroy your Registry, then see if the backup fully recovers your system. But testing that scenario is scary.

3. tallin

Thank you for your informative reply Digerati. I will not be doing the suggestion in bold - as you say, that would be just too scary for me.

Yes, I did find that ERUNT runs on Windows 7, and did not disable UAC. (I did see where it was advised to do that) Why when ERUNT runs so easily on Windows XP does it become so complicated on Windows 7. (to me at any rate with lesser skills than most computer users)

I was interested in your comments re your confidence in Windows 7 and as I do not make any changes to my registry manually, I have uninstalled ERUNT as I don't plan to go through running it in Task Manager either. Again to compare with doing so in Windows XP to me it is like going around the world to get there.

I read where backing up the registry through Registry Editor does not do the complete job. Do you agree with that comment?

I will keep RegBak for the present as it is so simple to use. Yes, I do have adequate backups of my systems so feel I am covered for the unthinkable.

As always, my thanks to you for your reply.

kind regards,

4. broni

broni Malware Annihilator Techie7 Moderator Head Security

5. Digerati

Because Windows 7 is an entirely different OS from XP but the makers of ERUNT did not rewrite ERUNT, they tweaked and modified it so it kinda works.

I have used the tool Broni suggested with no problems too.

6. broni

I was actually in contact with Erunt author when I got Win 8 computer but his instructions to make it run were so massive (including playing with permissions) that I opted out.
    It worked fine for me on Vista.

7. Digerati

And so far, W8 seems to be more robust than W7, so the need for daily Registry backups is less important yet.

8. broni

I like to play it safe :)

9. tallin

Thank you Digerati for your reply and information. Broni, thank you for your link supplied.

Any comments on Registry Editor please?

Best regards,

10. broni

11. Digerati

It is true Registry Editor does not backup everything other programs do, but the fact is, it does not need too. And remember, Windows System Restore is there too.

The only time I backup my Registry is before I manually edit my Registry (something I rarely do these days) or before I "fix" items found with CCleaner's Registry cleaner (the only Registry cleaner I use). I am much more concerned about losing my data than I am the Registry.

12. tallin

Thanks for your reply - Have used Broni's suggestion and also backed up the registry as mentioned above plus checked System Restore is active.

kind regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.