1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE8 will not work

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by idr, Mar 7, 2013.

1. idr

idr Established Techie7 Member

I used always Internet Explorer 8 with OE6 mail on my winXP sp3 Home computer, with Google as the search engine.
    However today the IE ceased to work. The page remains blank with the header and toolbars only, and the icons on neither the Favorites, nor on the tools bar do not respond.
    The IE page remains on the screen and cannot be deleted.
    I work now with the Mozilla firefox browser .
    I downloaded and installed IE8 anew, but the problem remains.
    My main problem is with the mail, which I cannot use. I tried to reload the Outlook express6 but will not load to the IE8 version. I can see my mail only at my provider site,
    Please advise how the browser problem can be solved.
    Thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I think there is some confusion here. Outlook Express (OE) is not part of IE, but a separate Windows program. You don't use IE to view your email with OE. Note that Outlook Express is a "client based" email program. It resides and operates on your computer.

Web based email programs (like Gmail, Yahoo mail, and Web mail provided by your ISP) do not use OE. They use your browser. You can, however, configure OE to download your gmail and other webmail, but again, that has nothing to do with IE.

So you need to define your problem a bit better. Does IE8 work otherwise for websurfing?

3. idr

idr Established Techie7 Member

Thank you Digerati.
    My problem was probably due to some add-ons, and when I found a way to remove or disable most of them, the IE8 works fine.
    As to the Outlook Express – Microsoft wrote that it is a part of IE6 and later that it was supplied with Win98.
    I don’t need to re-install it now, as it returned with the working of IE8, but when trying to repair the IE I tried to download it and install from various Internet sites, incuding Microsoft. And everywhere I found the setup file called “ie6setupOe.exe” and it declined to load on IE8.
    So the thread can be closed now, and thank you again.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

And that makes sense as, by far, the majority of problems with IE8 and IE9 are due to misbehaving or conflicting add-ons. I use IE9 and keep my add-ons to a minimum. I use and recommend AdblockIE (not the same program as Adblock IE) to block most embedded ads and Speckie because my fingers can't spell.

I have removed Java because it is just too much of a security risk and very few sites require it anymore.

And yeah, OE came with IE6 and earlier Windows, and was deeply entangled with them. But they were separate.