1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is DVD burner buffer size?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by garyd, Feb 19, 2013.

1. garyd

garyd Established Techie7 Member

Hi All,

I purchased an LG GH24NS90 from Amazon but they supplied a GH24NS95 which has a buffer size of only 768KB against the 2MB of the one ordered.

As it was only £13.47 I was wondering, rather than have the hassle of returning the supplied one, is the smaller buffer size really important?

This was bought to replace a faulty IDE dvd burner so I'll worry about the sata compatibility issue once I've sorted what burner!

Many thanks.

Regards,

Gary

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

You got ripped off. And if me, I would return it or ask for compensation.

That said, buffer size on optical drives is not near as critical as it is with hard drives because optical drives are not normally used day in and day out to store and retrieve data. Plus, today's computers tend to have quite a bit of RAM to help compensate.

1 person likes this.
  3. garyd

garyd Established Techie7 Member

Hi Digerati,

Thanks for your speedy response.

I contacted Amazon who at first tried to tell me it was an error but when I pointed out that others had complained they offered me £7 compensation to keep it so I have new dvd burner for £6.47.:whistling
    I'll suffer any buffer problems that may occur! Or I'll let you all know if too great an issue.:rolleyes:

Now to worry about the compatibility issue of my motherboard and XP sp3 with sata.:hammer:

Thanks again and I'll consider this closed.

Cheers,

Gary

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Well, kudos to Amazon - it sounds like you got a really good deal then. Thanks for the follow up.