1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP G62 notebook SMART Hard Disk Error

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by lindian, Jan 5, 2013.

1. lindian

lindian Established Techie7 Member

Hi, when I start up my computer HP G62 Notebook Laptop running on windows 7 home premium, I get the message " The SMART hard diskcheck has detetected an imminent failure run the diagnostic Hard Disk Test",, when I run the test I get the message "Failure ID M4QJTD-5A76G3-9XL03F-60ED03, if I press continue to startup tyhe computer loads very slowly, but after that everything seems to work OK, by the way the computer is 2 yrs 2 months old and just out of warranty and has had been used very little. PLease Help if you can thx

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Sadly, that is a sign the drive is having problems so your first priority is to ensure you have backed up any files you saved to the drive you don't want to lose.

Also, you should run a diagnostics on the drive. From under Computer, right click on the drive and select Properties > Tools > Error checking > Check now. Make sure both options are checked then select Start. When prompted to allow the checking to take place during next reboot, say yes, then reboot. Note this process can take many hours and appear to be frozen at times. Just let it go. This may correct the problem if the problem is just corruption - but it may just be a temporary reprieve. So regardless, you will need to stay on top of doing regular backups.

You might still call HP and see what they say.

3. lindian

Hi, I ran a diagnostic no joy, rang HP they replied saying that they will replace the hard drive for mere £145.00. so it looks like I ned a new hard drive, the computer came with all the software installed & no disks, could you please tell me how I can save everything I have on the computer so I can transfer it on to the new hard drive. I have the windows key and have just bought a 32 GB flash drive & ordered some blank dvd's

4. Digerati

You should have a current backup of all your data. If you did not create one, you may be out of luck since everything you "have on the computer" really means "on the hard drive".

If me, I would remove the hard drive and install it into a drive enclosure attached to another computer, then copy any data off (if possible) or install the drive into a second computer as a secondary drive (NOT the boot drive) and copy the data off.

5. lindian

Hi, I think I can still make a backup i think, as the computer is still working, should i backup on disk or flash drive and will windows 7 be on the backup and what do I do when I get a new hard drive?. thx

6. Digerati

The problem is you risk backing up problems on the disk, as well as your data. While the disk may be physically faulty, a failing disk can, and typically does corrupt stored data on the disk. So while transferring to a new drive is easier and worth a try, you need to be prepared to do a fresh Windows install on the new drive.

A flash drive is not likely big enough to hold all your data.

See I am upgrading my hard drive.

7. lindian

Hi, I don't have a windows 7 disk is there another way?

8. Digerati

As noted in that link above, you can use Windows to create an image disk and hope that works. Acronis True Image is a popular product you can use for this too - if your system lets you.