1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No signal while system boots

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by INJAC, Jan 3, 2013.

1. INJAC

INJAC Techie7 New Member

When i turn on or restart my pc my monitor displays "No signal" , and after a few seconds it comes up and loads windows, so i cant see the main picture of mother board, and i cant see bios, nothing in the boot, it just turns on when windows load, i tried a diffrent monitor same thing happends. Can anyone help me. My grafic card is NVIDIA GTS 450 just in case you need to know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Hi INJAC and welcome to Techie7.

It was smart to try another monitor first. That tells us it is not your monitor. But we still need some more information.

First, did it used to work fine and suddenly stop? Is this a new card on an older system? If so, did you totally uninstall the old driver first? Have you installed the latest drivers for this card and your OS?

After it fully boots, does the display looks fine?

3. INJAC

INJAC Techie7 New Member

Tnx for your reply yeah it sudenly stopped one morning, no its a newer card on a newer system, yes i unistalled the ld driver and installer latest drivers, when windows comes up it looks fine. I have tried 2 displays at the same time one is lcd works on 60 hz and the other is an old that works on 85 Hz, when i use both monitors on the old one it loads bios and boots, and then it goes off and the new lcd comes up and loads windows, when i tried to swtich vga cables, nothing happends both of monitors go out of range. What should i do. Tnx

4. Digerati

I'm a little confused here. So are both monitors connected via VGA (the old style analog) D-Sub connectors? Or digital via DVI or HDMI?

5. INJAC

INJAC Techie7 New Member

My graphic card is NVIDIA GTS 450 and it has only two dvi connectors, my monitors are all by vga connectors i have adapters for them like this:
    790px-DVI-VGA-Adapter.jpg

6. Digerati

Have you tried a monitor that has a DVI input?

7. INJAC

INJAC Techie7 New Member

No i dont have any monitors with DVI input, i ve been using my lcd monitor for two years and it worked fine, then year ago i added my old monitor and still worked fine, but one morning when i turned my pc on the old monitor bios comes up and on the other system and the old monitor still is on but with extended screen, but when i try to change the VGA cables both monitors go off, i just want that my pc loads bios and windows on lcd monitor, i think the problem are the Hz bios maybe massed up something but what i dont know.

8. Digerati

LCD monitors don't care about the refresh (Hz) settings because diodes (and thus the pixels) stay on until told to turn off. They don't fade as the phosphorous coating pixels do on CRT monitors and thus don't need refreshing. So LCD monitors ignore that setting.

It sounds like your card is bad to me however, you might try checking or resetting your BIOS. Maybe the boot splash screen option was disabled.

9. INJAC

INJAC Techie7 New Member

Can you pls tell me how to do that i m a little new at this stuff

10. Digerati

Well, that is not going to be easy when you cannot see the prompt. :(

But you can try pressing the appropriate key to enter the BIOS Setup Menu right after pressing the power on button. What's the appropriate key? I don't know. It depends on your motherboard/PC model number. It is typically the Del key, but some chipsets use F1 or F12. Look in your manual.

Nevertheless, if the card is bad, it won't help.

I might try borrowing another monitor to see what happens.

11. INJAC

INJAC Techie7 New Member

I know how to enter bios but i dont know where is that stuff what i need to change. My bios is award modular bios v6.00pg

12. Digerati

I don't know where it is in the menu either. But it should say something like "Display splash screen". There may also be a setting for a fast boot (skip most of the boot displays) or normal boot with displays more.

You can reset the BIOS by following the instructions your computer or motherboard manual. Typically you unplug from the wall and move the CMOS reset jumper to short a couple pins for a couple seconds, then move the jumper back, or you remove the CMOS battery for 10 or 15 seconds. That causes the CMOS memory module to dump all the changes to the BIOS defaults.

Then upon first boot, you boot into the menu again to set date and time, and make sure your drives were properly recognized. Then Save and Exit to boot normally. But that assumes you can see to get into the menu and if your card is bad, that may make matters worse.

I really don't have any more guesses than what I have already suggested. Sorry. If that machine was on my bench, I would try another monitor, another card, and even another PSU.