1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change in appearance of Firefox desktop shortcuts to websites

Discussion in 'General Security Issues and Questions' started by barebear, Nov 25, 2012.

1. barebear

barebear Established Techie7 Member

Firefox website shortcut icons on my desktop now look like the first choice one sees when right clicking a shortcut icon , then left clicking "properties", and then clicking " change icon" -- they should look like a white square with the firefox logo in the center instead of a white square with a little box containing 3 tiny symbols.

I've attached a screenshot showing what I'm referring to.

I'm running XP Pro SP3

How do I restore the original appearance?

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Is FF your default browser?

3. barebear

Hi Digerati,

Yes it is.

4. barebear

For Digerati,

Someone else suggested:

"You can try changing the icon for URL Internet Shortcut via Windows Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types > Advanced > Change Icon, and browse and select firefox (firefox.exe) in the installation directory"

I tried this and it didn't help.

I did neglect in my original post to mention that the issue doesn't affect pre-existing shortcut icons but only new ones that I try to create --- this shows in the image attached to my original post

5. Digerati

6. barebear

For Digerati,

Thanks much ! I saved the link to the fix in a special folder where I keep things like that.

Problem resolved with restoration of drive image ( I keep the previous 10 days ) , went to the oldest to stand best chance of successful fix.

Still a pain having to reschedule multiple tasks ( like drive imaging and documents folder backup ) and having to re-update multiple softwares.

Hope this is an object lesson for all --- IMAGE ! your drive and keep multiple days worth of images!

I tried System Restore --LOL it gave message "unable to restore to.."

Thanks again to all who responded !

7. Digerati

Well, I am sorry you had to re-image but glad to hear you had a recent copy and that it worked! Thanks for the update.

8. barebear

For Digerati,

I had posted my original question at the Mozilla forums too. The following came back after I posted "
    Problem resolved with restoration of drive image ( I keep the previous 10 days ) , went to the oldest to stand best chance of successful fix.

Still a pain having to reschedule multiple tasks ( like drive imaging and documents folder backup ) and having to re-update multiple softwares.

Hope this is an object lesson for all --- IMAGE ! your drive and keep multiple days worth of images!

I tried System Restore --LOL it gave message "unable to restore to.."

Thanks again to all who responded !"

Here's the reply to that from the Mozilla forum:

"This does NOT "solve" the problem at all. As soon as you reinstall FF 17 you'll end up ate the same point.

When creating a desktop shortcut FF now tries to use the favicon of the site and to save a copy under ...\<your_profile>\shortcutCache\... creating an INVALID .ico file that Windows XP cannot read.

Try to open any of these shortcuts' properties, click on "Change Icon" and you'll get an error message that ...\shortcutCache\<random_file_name>.ico does not contain any icons.

If someone knows any way to disable this "feature", please let me know! "

They are right--I'm still running 16 because of the restore and won't upgrade till I know what's going on.

Check this out too !

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/942316

Wait to hear from you....

9. Digerati

Well, I don't know what you expect to hear from me. I don't use FF for I value security above all else and FF continues, for a couple years running, to be the worst browser in terms of reported vulnerabilities and poor showings against socially engineered threats, the worst kind.

That is NOT saying FF cannot be secured, but it is saying I would rather not bother when IE9, included with Windows, already does so well.

Fortunately, the folks at Mozilla are pretty quick at fixing all those reported vulnerabilities so hopefully a fix will come for you soon too.

10. barebear

For Digerati,

LOL- wasn't expecting a miracle solution --just wanted to keep you advised of what I find.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 w/ IE8. I'm just uncomfortable w/ IE --I can't find or make a bookmarks toolbar like I have in FF, there don't seem to be available extensions to install like in FF, etc --I would welcome all advice from you re IE and what I just mentioned.

What are your thoughts re Opera ? -- it has some available extensions that I do use --how do you feel about its security ?

Like you I value security above all else!

11. Digerati

Hmmm, well you can enable the Links tool bar in IE8 to organize and store your favorites. As for extensions, I hear that complaint about IE all the time, but frankly, I don't understand it as there are many for IE. More than I need. I install AdblockIE and Speckie spell checker and I am good to go.

I personally don't like Opera, but that's because I don't like (am not used to) the look and feel of that browser.

It is important to note that regardless the browser of choice, YOU (the user and ALWAYS the weakest link in security) must still keep your systems updated and patched, scanned with an effective and current anti-malware solution, blocked with a software based firewall, AND you (and all users of that machine) must not invite the badguys in by participating in risky behavior - like illegal filesharing via torrents or P2P sites, or being "click-happy" with unsolicited downloads, attachments, and links. All the exact same things required, regardless your browser of choice.

So while I prefer IE, I don't care which browser you use, as long as you keep your computer updated and secured.

12. barebear

For Digerati,

I so totally agree and preach the same sermon to all who'll listen.

LOL--never have and never will allow anyone else on my computers ever

Is Links bar just another name for what shows as Favorites bar in IE ?

Where to go to find IE extensions ?

And again, thanks for all your time and wisdom!

13. Digerati

Yes, sorry. I forgot they renamed it. Note you can add folders to that bar, and put dozens (100s) of links in each folder.

You can start by clicking Tools > Manage Add-ons then clicking "Find more toolbars and extensions" in the lower left. Don't forget Bing Google is your friend too.

14. barebear

Thank you!