1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux - Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Alternative Operating System Help' started by theoldandgrey, Mar 25, 2012.

1. theoldandgrey

theoldandgrey Established Techie7 Member

Well I've cooked it now. I was given an old, well ancient, Toshiba Satellite 1800 with a clean hard drive and no setup disk. Having tried Ubuntu 8 in the past and quite liked it I decided to load it. It was sooooo slow that I couldn't bear it. I decided to remove it but am left with GRUB. Maybe I should have used Puppy but hindsight is wonderful! I have re-loaded the cd and gone into Terminal but I do not know what to do next. I get the following: to run a command as Administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>" See "man sudo root" for details - I have done that but........it didn't help an ignoramus like me. Then the next line reads:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$. As you guess I am now completely lost.

Do I have to consign the laptop to the tip?

2. theoldandgrey

theoldandgrey Established Techie7 Member

No I don't have to consign the laptop anywhere. I didn't manage to get rid of GRUB but after nearly 2 days working on the problem I now have Puppy loaded and running so that is a good thing. I like a challenge and it certainly was. I hope to find an XP disk somewhere so I can get back to windows.

Thanks for all the help on other problems over the years