1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer Netbook Freezes

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help' started by salachic, Feb 12, 2012.

1. salachic

salachic Techie7 New Member

I have an Acer A0761h-1346. For sometime it has been freezing up and the only way to get it back is to hold down the power button and reboot.

Also, it constantly is telling me to do a Java update, but it is unsuccessful every time. (Not sure if it's at all related).

Any ideas?

2. ThomasAnderson

ThomasAnderson Techie7 New Member

Do you have virus removal software in your netbook, the activity you talking about is similar to virus.
    You need to install antivirus program and scan your netbook, i use kaspersky as it provide real time protection.

3. salachic

Yes I have antivirus and have performed multiple scans etc. Everything is up to date.

4. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Could be a variety of things, malware that your anti-virus does not catch (what AV are you using), overheating, defective hardware. The first thing to do is check to make sure all vents area clear. A can of compressed air is good for doing this as it's rather difficult to take a laptop apart to clean it.

Do you hold this on your lap or somewhere that prevents good airflow from getting to the laptop?

There are many types of malware that standard AV software does not detect. Pleas go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

5. salachic

Thanks for the feedback. Most times the netbook is sitting on my countertop in the kitchen. Using it in other parts of the house doesn't seem to make a difference, it still freezes up. I rarely use it on my lap.

For antivirus, I have used AVG, then Avira and now Microsoft Security Essentials. I also have Malwarebytes. None of these have made any difference in the fact that it always freezes up. I bought the netbook about 1 1/2 years ago and it was great at first. In the last year it has been freezing up a lot, and now its to the point it's very annoying.

I appreciate you trying to help. However, I did notice that your link to a spyware forum leads me to a different internet site and asks me to download software. That makes me sceptical. Don't want to download more problems then I already have.

6. salachic

Well I went ahead and followed your advice. OTL log is posted on the other site.

7. Ztruker

Sorry, I work at a few different sites and gave you the link to GeeksToGo instead of the malware forum here at Techie7, which is: Spyware, Adware, Viruses and Malware Removal

Stay with the one you already posted in. Come back here when you get a clean bill of health if the freezing problem still occurs.

8. salachic

Should I repost somewhere else? on the GTG site my issue is now on page 2 and has 32 views but no responses. This has happened to me for over 6 mos (posting to various sites but no one responds with suggestions). :-( I'm a teacher leaving on a student trip in a week and wanted to take this machine with me, but didn't want it to be freezing up all the time. When it's not seizing up, it runs great.

9. Ztruker

No, stay with G2G. I'll see if I can nudge them a bit.

Malware is a huge problem so all the sites that work on malware are very busy, which is why it takes days sometimes for themn to get to you.

10. Ztruker

No, give them another day. If nothing after 3 days, post in The Waiting Room, and provide a link to your post in the malware forum.

Malware is a huge problem and all the sites that work on it are very busy, so a 2-3 day wait is not unusual.

11. salachic

Ok, I followed all the malware instructions in the other forum, and ran numerous scans, posted logs etc. They came up empty. I was told to start disabling thing in the msconfig/startup menu.... Then I had to go on a trip (limited internet access) and just got back. The other forum locks threads after 3 days of inactivity. So I'm back here. Still have the same problem.

12. Ztruker

Have you used msconfig to disable startup and service items? Here are the directions I provide for doing that:

13. salachic

Ok I went through the msconfig again. The link to the sysinfo site was *very* helpful. I disabled everything except synaptics pointing device driver. I rebooted and confirmed that after the reboot that only the synaptics was checked off. I thought I would just leave the machine running for a bit to see what happens. 2 seconds later the screen went black. Had to hard reboot to get it back.

14. Ztruker

What happened after the hard boot?

15. salachic

It came back up nicely. I had it on for about a half an hour more, then it froze up again. Grrr.

16. Ztruker

Are there any dumps in C:\Windows\minidump? If so, can you zip up the last 5 or so and upload them here. You could also try copying them to a flash drive then putting them on another computer and running BlueScreenView, see what it indicates the problem may be.

17. salachic

The minidump folder is empty.

18. Ztruker

Time to test the memoru, see here: [Windows] HOWTO: Boot Memtest on USB Drive.

If that doesn't show any problem then looks like your only recourse is to reinstall the operating system which is when owning a Netbook becomes a PITA. You need an external USB DVD drive, or you need to setup a USB flash drive (4GB or larger) so you can install Vista from it. It also means you need a Vista installation disc.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  19. Ztruker

What happens if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If it works okay there, though large and ugly, then it may be a device driver that is having problems.

Start with the latest video driver, then network, see if they make a difference.