1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows will not start

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by pro1, Nov 17, 2011.

1. pro1

pro1 Techie7 New Member

i have an hp mini 110-3000
    when booting up it will show hp logo and then goes to blk and white screen heading is windows boot manager...says windows failed to start
    says a recent hardware or software change might be the cause...than of course it asks for installation discs which does not come with it and even if they did no drive to put them in.
    says:

file:\Boot\BCD
    info:the windows boot config data file is missing required information

i've tried all the f keys to recover but will not get by this screen can get to bios but thats it
    HELPPPP.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

3. pro1

pro1 Techie7 New Member

have been using this netbook for awhile now just turned it on on day and thats what i got....was that screen

4. pro1

pro1 Techie7 New Member

Bill
    ty for your reply and you are correct there was never a recovery disc created for this net book i am not original owner....this is the way i recieved the unit...i went on line to hp and they offer a flash drive with windows 7 on it....for 45.00 my question to you is will the flash drive get by the boot erorr screen and load and fix this?...as i said i got to bios and ran a scan on hd and memory and they both had no problems
    do you think this is the way to go?.....ty

5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

It should work - but I have never done that so I would hate say for sure it would. You may have to go into the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order so the Flash Drive is first. I would suspect [hope] the drive would come with directions.

There should also be a sticker on the netbook with your product key. If so, you should be able to use an external DVD drive and borrow someone's disk but use your product key when prompted. That is legal. Using another key is not.