1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'Alternative Operating System Help' started by TKING, Jun 12, 2011.

1. TKING

TKING Techie7 New Member

Hello,

I am considering retiring my windows based operating system and buying a Mac. This would involve moving my documents, photos and music from my old computer to my new one...what are the shortcomings of the Mac, what do I need to look out for?

In buying a Mac, what would be the ideal specifications? I use the computer for word processing, skype, photos and other media and run quite a number of programs. I realise this question may be arbitrary but I need to start somewhere. By the way I am thinking of moving from a tower to a laptop, again any advice would be appreciated and my budget is in the vicinity of AUD $1500.00.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Terry

2. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Well first off since mac is a completely different operating system your windows programs won't work unless you want to install windows on your mac. Pretty much anything you want to be able to do with windows you can do with a mac although you might have to get different programs to do them with. For example there is a version of Microsoft office for mac but it doesn't have everything that the windows version has however there are alternatives such as open office or an office suit by apple that can be bought with a mac. Fortunately there is a mac version of skype. If you want more specific advice on programs you will need to tell us what programs you use most.

As for price, have you looked at the prices for them? You might want to save up a little more before buying a mac.

3. TKING

TKING Techie7 New Member

Thank you