1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacement hard drive

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by golfjack, Jan 1, 2011.

1. golfjack

golfjack Techie7 New Member

I want to put a higher capacity hard drive but I believe I may have a problem installing system drivers. Is there any way of saving the various drivers on a external hard drive??
    golfjack

2. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Unfortunately you didn't tell us anything about your system and you are vague on what you are intending to do.

Are you intending on installing the drive as a second drive or are you intending you make this drive the system drive (ie the drive the operating system is installed on)?

Why and based on what? Also what system drivers are you talking about?

Please include more information so that we can help you. To answer your question, yes you should be able to save your drivers on an external or usb drive but to what end?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. golfjack

Sorry I have been a bit vague. What I'm intending to do is replace my hard drive with a larger capacity one. My system is so slow, not having much space left on my hard drive. I don't think my mother board has the connections for a tandem drive. I'm told that I would have difficulty finding drivers for my other programmes on my computer if I were to fit a new empty drive. Is it possible to put any of the driver information on an external drive? I would be very grateful for any assistance. My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate. Golfjack

4. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

To put in a new hard drive you'll need to reinstall windows on the new hard drive. When you do so you'll need to also reinstall your drivers and programs. The installers can be put on an external hard drive after you download them from the manufacturer's website. If you want specific help you'll need to provide more info on your system. I'm still confused by this; please explain and be specific.

5. golfjack

Hi Sorry about delay in answering. My intention is to replace my hard drive. I have backed all files in my computer onto external drive, is this sufficient to recover my drivers for sound, graphic cards etc.??. I have been trying to print off my details of my task manager for you ,but have failed. Don't know what else you require.
    Golfjack

6. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Unless you have a custom built system make & model of your computer should suffice.

7. golfjack

The make is Carrera SSC (I believe they have now gone out of business)
    The Mother board is MSI K9VGM-V

8. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9VGM-V.html

Select download & then driver and then choose your operating system. You'll need to know if it is 7 32 or 64 bit. You can find that out by right clicking on computer & then select properties. It'll be listed on that page.

Note that the only drivers listed for 7 are the audio drivers. You can get the rest of what you need from the Vista download section. You'll need the Vista chipset, Lan, & vga drivers. Use the 7 audio drivers instead of the Vista audio drivers.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  9. golfjack

Thank you for your reply.
    I assume I will have to down load after I have installed my new hard drive?
    My OS Windows 7 ultimate; Processor AMD Athlon 64x2duel core 3600+200GHZ; 32bit;Base score 2.
    Could I fit a new hard disk in tandem, would this be easier or more difficult?
    Golfjack

10. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

You should be able to use more than 1. I do. Actually I don't even have my OS on my largest drive. You should download the drivers before hand in case the internet doesn't work after a reinstall. I know that on XP you must have drivers before you can access the internet however Vista & 7 I believe are able to use the ethernet port without drivers. If you have a wireless adapter or card you'll need drivers for it as well as drivers for any other hardware such as a graphics card.

11. golfjack

Thank you very much for the latest info. I assume I can get the necessary connections for the extra hard drive. Would the new HD have to be the same value as the one I have fitted? Golfjack

12. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I don't understand what you are asking.:confused:

13. golfjack

If I decide to buy and fit a tandem hard drive would it have to be the same value as the one already in the computer? and can I purchase the connections that connect to the mother board? What difficulties would I come cross after fitting the hard drive/
    golf jack