1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

needing 98 compatible sound & graphics cards

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by Kay, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay Techie7 New Member

Hi,

I just got given an old pc that had previously been used in school and ran xp. I've installed 98 on it instead, as I want to use it to run a pile of old educational software and games for my youngest (who has inherited from the oldest!).

After much hassle I managed to reformat the hard drive to FAT32 and install 98SE, but on looking for drivers I found there is no separate graphics or sound cards in the machine. So what I need now is some old cheap hardware that I can get 98SE drivers for... any suggestions as what to look for? Ebay has lots, but I don't know which will work. I remember having Soundblaster cards in my old machines but not which ones.

All advice very gratefully received!!
    Thank you
    Kay

2. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I don't know about buying old hardware but it is very hard to get 98 to run on modern hardware plus it isn't very secure. I wouldn't trust it on the net. My advice is to put XP back on it & run 98 on a virtual machine using either virtual box, vmware, or virtual pc. Virtual pc & virtual box are free but vmware isn't-you'll have to download a trial of the workstation to create it and then you can install & run it from the free vmware player.

3. Kay

Kay Techie7 New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the help. The computer isn't going anywhere near the net, so security isn't an issue - it's just a separate machine for my daughter to play a load of old educational games on. I'll have to look into the virtual machine thing. I remember having problems in the past when games couldn't recognise the graphics or sound cards in a machine. It's all a money saving experiment really - cheaper than buying new software!!
    Thanks again, it's really appreciated :)

4. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

Here is a link to Everest Home Edition (CLEAN FreeWare)

Download, install, and run Everest Home Edition on this machine. Once it's finished loading and running, click the + sign next to;

Motherboard. Click on Chipset. Post the information listed under South Bridge exactly as it is listed.

Display. Post the information listed under Windows Video (Device Description).

Multimedia. Post the information listed under PCI / PnP Audio exactly as it is listed.

5. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Virtual machines (and in my opinion Vmware in particular) are good at simulating very generic "hardware" that the OS running on it really doesn't need any extra drivers for. Vmware & virtual pc can give you direct access to your sound card provided the Host OS can use it. The graphics aren't that great but for older games they should do. Vmware is my fav but I would also take Virtual PC but I don't like virtual box. The problem with virtual pc is that you can really only run windows on it (because it is from Microsoft) so if you are interested in experimenting with Linux you'll have to use one of the others. I actually have both vmware & virtual pc on my computer to occasionally use various OSs including 98.

Perhaps Dan can help you with obtaining older hardware but this is an alternative if he can't.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  6. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Are you asking a question or making a statement? If you are stating that then please provide an example. Remember that the manufacturer must have 98 drivers for their device.

7. zuko1

zuko1 Techie7 New Member

go to MSFN and enter the forum. click on thewin 95/98/SE/ME section and enjoy the fruits this site has to offer :) iv installed 98 SE on a dual core with 2gig of ram and an nvidia 6600gt PCIE and it ran faster than anything iv ever seen before. they have some excellent members on there who have written programmes to use more ram,hardware and a programme called kernel ex allows u to use all the latest browsers like opera 11 or firefox 4 as well as install the latest flash and java releases as well as programmes released only to run on xp +. hope this helps and if you need any help just pm me.

8. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

Firstly, posting on one Help Forum site for the purpose of promoting another Help Forum site is considered poor forum etiquette.

Secondly, you're posting to a thread that dates back to 11-12-2010.

9. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

In addition I would not use any such "hacks" for both stability and security reasons. I can see no advantage to doing so. 98 might have been good for it's time but it is extremely outdated and no hacks are going to change that. There's a reason why almost no one is releasing programs, drivers, security software, etc for it. Microsoft has long since stopped releasing security patches for it. As far as I'm concerned, if you choose to use 98 on the net, you do so at your own risk.

10. zuko1

zuko1 Techie7 New Member

sorry everyone i didn't mean to offend anybody or promote the other forum, i was only trying to help out :(