1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Drivers

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by tonyo, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tonyo

tonyo Techie7 New Member

Hi,

I have just rebuilt a crashed PC ( Packard Bell- IXTREME 7072), and unable to find any VGA or Ethernet drivers for the PC.

Thanks
    Tonyo

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

You need to specify your operating system. But in reality, Windows already knows how to communicate with standard VGA devices and NICs using native drivers. You may need to ensure they are enabled in your BIOS Setup Menu.

NICs are not normally a problem but to enable higher resolutions and advanced features of your graphics solution, you may need to start here: Packard Bell Support Download

3. tonyo

tonyo Techie7 New Member

Thanks Bill,

I run Win XP(SP3) on the PC, and have looked on the Packard Bell support website (No joy!!). I even contacted the Packard Bell customer support, and I was advised they archived all the (Ixtreme x7072 drivers...strange!!!!!), and should contact vendors if i need these drivers.

Can you advice how to enable the native drivers in the bios?, cos normally, when you run windows update, it usually gives you the options to install the drivers(via custom), which I have tried, with no joy.

Regards

Tonyo

4. Digerati

Sorry, I was not clear. You don't enable drivers in the BIOS. Drivers are loaded into the operating system during the boot process from files stored on the disk. I should have said, you need to ensure the devices are enabled in the BIOS. The graphics should be by default. The NIC may not be.

Is this computer working at all?

5. tonyo

tonyo Techie7 New Member

Hiya,

Yes PC is working..All necessary drivers get loaded at boot-up, but device manager shows Ethernet & Video drivers are required.
    Is it worth getting a new VGA and Network card if i'm unable to ressolve the driver issues?

Many thanks,

T

6. Digerati

If you are able to connect to a network/Internet, you don't need Ethernet drivers or a new card. If you are able to display an image on your monitor at the correct resolution, you don't need graphics drivers either. If you only have the default graphics resolutions, then you do need drivers and punching [URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=Packard+Bell-+IXTREME+7072+drivers&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=]Packard Bell- IXTREME 7072 drivers[/URL] into Google shows a few places to look.

If you still cannot find the necessary graphics drivers, and you can't connect to the network/Internet, then new cards may be your only option. Network cards are very inexpensive. Graphics cards cost more, but also draw a chunk of power, and so may require a new power supply. So you may need to weigh the options to see if it is not time to just get a new computer - since that one is getting along in years.