1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crackling audio problem

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by emachiner, Jun 1, 2010.

1. emachiner

emachiner Techie7 New Member

The audio is screwed up on my PC, a 2004 eMachines t2824. I keep hearing a crackling sound coming from any speakers/headphones/earplugs I plug in, and there is no crackling coming from those devices when I plug them into my mp3 player. The crackling sound happens even when nothing that should produce any sounds/audio are open, but it's not very pronounced, just a crackle every 5-10 seconds or so. But when I do open anything with audio (online games, videos on my computer, anything at all that produces audio) the crackling sound happens a lot more pronounced. Everything lags, and I can't even watch anything from youtube because the crackling happens too much. It's been like this for a while and I haven't had much time to fix it until now. What can I do to pinpoint the problem and fix it?

Here's the technical information of my driver and some other things:

Audio Driver Version: 5.10.0.6300
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
    Audio Controller: Intel(ICH4)
    Audio Codec: ALC202A

And some technical information of my motherboard:

Main Circuit Board
    Board: Intel Corporation D845GVSR AAC74803-200

I've already updated my driver from realtek as the most recent driver from them, but I don't know if this is a driver issue or something else, or if I should use another driver from another company (if another driver would even work). Can anyone help?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

What do you mean by everything lags? That sounds to me like your computer is bogged down, and crackling sound is symptom of a struggling system, and not that the bad sound is dragging the system down. This can be caused by many things - to include malware and a crowded disk.

Have you backed up your important data?

Have you scanned for malware and cleaned out the clutter? I recommend purging the hard drives of clutter with Windows XP Disk Cleanup, ATF Cleaner or CCleaner. If using CCleaner, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar during installation. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours is unchecked. Know your site credentials (user names and passwords) for sites you frequent before cleaning; you may have to login again at next visit.

Download and install Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) and scan as follows:
    Check for updates before scanning,
    Select Perform quick scan > Scan,
    When complete, click OK, then Show Results,
    Ensure all is selected, and click Remove Selected,
    When complete, save the log in Notepad to a convenient place for future reference. ​
    Repeat for all computers in the "Trusted Zone" of your network (your side of the Internet "gateway" - typically the cable or DSL modem).

Windows Disk Cleanup Note: One distinct advantage Windows Disk Cleanup has over all other cleaners is that it also has the option to delete all but the most recent Restore Point. This can be significant as malicious code can hide there too. But I caution this option, found under the More Options tab, should be used only after careful consideration. If experiencing a problem that first appeared within the last couple days, do not use this option until sure System Restore cannot be used to fix it. If the computer is running fine otherwise, and you are defragging or doing your weekly supplemental security scans and want to free up as much space or root out as many potential malware hiding places as possible, I recommend setting a new Restore Point, and then use this Disk Cleanup option to clear out the old points.

Once that is done, see how much free disk space you have left, and consider uninstalling programs you installed but never use.

Also note, this is a 6 year old entry-end computer that may be near its natural end. If it does turn out to be the sound, that is integrated with motherboard. You can add a new card, but that may just be a band-aid fix.