1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only surround sound!?!

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by cap, May 25, 2010.

1. cap

cap Techie7 New Member

Hi all,

a friend has just built me a PC as my old one 'blew up' and it has a strange problem with its audio.

there are five audio inputs on the back of the PC (Green, Blue, Pink, Orange and Black) but the only two that seem to work are the Orange and Black ones!?! this would be fine if they weren't designed for rear speakers of a surroundsound and thus very echo'y. the motherboard is ABIT AV8

i have checked the BIOS and the onboard audio is enabled, i run Windows XP and control pannel>sound, speach and audio devices>sounds and audio devices>'TAB' [AUDIO] it says my 'default device' is Realtek AC97.

i have also ensured that 'speaker settings' are set to 'desktop stereo speakers'.

have i missed anything?

please help

thanks in advance

p.s
    i know ive been a bit vague but im not too techy

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

Welcome to D-A-L.

Ensure your speaker system is plugged into the GREEN jack on the machine.

Download, install, and run Everest Home Edition on this machine. (CLEAN FreeWare) Once it's finished loading and
    running, click the + sign next to;

Motherboard. Click on Chipset. Post the information listed under South Bridge exactly as it is listed. (ie; Device Description - South Bridge: Intel 82801GB ICH7)

Multimedia. Post the information listed under PCI / PnP Audio exactly as it is listed.