1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP migration to Windows 7, 64 bit--

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by pramoni, May 4, 2010.

1. pramoni

pramoni Techie7 New Member

I have bought a new machine w/ Windows 7, 64 bit. I have a couple of issues I need to resolve at the XP level first I think.
    Issue I: My address book, 300+ names and addresses is in WordPerfect8. I'm assuming that it would be best to move that information to Word 2003 on the old machine before moving to he new Windows 7, Word 2007 environment. How is this done?
    Issue II: What is the easiest way to move my information from the old machine to the new one?

Thanks,
    PR

2. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I don't know abut WP8 to Word, but Windows Easy Transfer is the way to go to migrate data to (or from) a Win 7 computer.

Click on the Start Orb and type migrate. You will see "Transfer files from another computer" appear at the top (the new Search in Win 7 is great). Click on it and follow directions.

3. pcs365.8

pcs365.8 Techie7 New Member

If your looking for a free way to transfer files then the Windows Easy File Transfer Manager is the one you want to use. With this you will be able to transfer over all your files and user settings. Examples of the things you can transfer are, account settings, IE favorites, pictures, My documents, pictures, outlook profile and the like.

The one thing you can not transfer over using the Windows Easy File Transfer is programs.

I just came across another method. You can use Yahoo Briefcase. Upload your files there, then when you log onto your next computer, download them if required.

The most effiencent way would be to plug them both into the internet at once, network them, and share the files. However, if you arent a computer person that would be a little hard. I would recommend purchasing a USB drive.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  4. pcs365.8

pcs365.8 Techie7 New Member

When using the Windows Easy File Transfer you will have several options you can use to transfer that data over to your new win XP/win 7. You can do the transfer over a network, onto a USB external hard drive for the transfer, Cd's or DVD's, a crossover cable or a USB transfer cable. These are the most common methods used to transfer files over.