1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What printer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by Corinda, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Corinda

Corinda Techie7 New Member

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the sort of problem anyone can help with, but I'm getting desperate, so felt it was worth a shot.

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 - arguably the most expesnive upgrade ever as it's rendered several programs I use obsolete, and both my scanner and printer redundant. (When I say 'upgrade', I mean I bought a new tower - so it is a different machine. Previously, I had XP.)

Trying to find a new printer is proving particularly troublesome. I checked some out at PC World recently and was told that all printers that worked with Vista would work with W7. However, when I got home and checked online, the printers in question weren't in the W7 list on my PC and I couldn't find any info from the relevant companies (HP and Canon).

According to W7, the HP1015 (laserjet) will work with W7. However - though I've found it for sale, HP have discontinued it and on at least one other forum, I've read a post from someone with HP1015 who couldn't download new drivers. So, though it's the type of machine I'm after, I'm a bit wary.

I previously had an HP Laserjet 1010, which was brilliant for my use, and I want to replace ti with something similar, ie mono laser, under £200. But I can find nothing remotely simlar, or, indeed, at present, anything that anyone can convince me (or guarantee) will work.

I'm hoping someone else finds themselves in a similar position to me, or that maybe someone can point me towards a site where I can find specific printer hep for W7.

Fingers crossed, as always. In the meantime, is there anyone else out there who'd like to help found a 'I Hate W7 Club'? :)

James

2. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

Hey, That list you're talking about I'm assuming is the list of printers you can add - those models listed are simply the printers which windows 7 already has drivers for.
    As the PC world person said, yes, if a printer works on Vista it will almost certainly work on 7, as the operating systems use similar drivers.
    You aren't limited by that list, and if you want to make sure 100% that a model will work before buying, go onto the website, and find the drivers for that printer. If there are vista and/or 7 drivers available, you're in business :D
    What model is your current printer which isnt working? It might be possible to source some Vista drivers for it to save you having to buy a new machine :)

- Paul