1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus - Cannot Boot

Discussion in 'Spyware, Adware, Viruses and Malware Removal' started by AJC1976, Jan 31, 2010.

1. AJC1976

AJC1976 Techie7 New Member

Hello forum,

A complete novice I am trying to fix my wife's virus-riddled HP laptop. She unfortunately downloaded 'Personal Security' and now it doesn't get past black screen of safe log on options. I managed to remove part of the virus through looking on a variety of forums and subsequently was able to log on once but with no access to any files or applications. On second reboot I wasn't even able to get that far.

From what I understand I need to reinstall my o/s but I HAVE to be sure to be able to retrieve/ protect old files (baby daughter birth photos all on laptop!!!!) and secondly I cannot run the recovery CD - the disc is spinning but the screen is blank (save for the white bar which has been building along the bototom: and then freezing). I have run diagnostics and a SHORT DST problem is reported. Am utterly lost

ANY HELP APPRECIATED, THANKS.

Read more: http://www.d-a-l.com/help/windows-xp-help/67845-virus-cannot-boot.html#ixzz0eE15JbVC

2. Neal

Neal Dedicated Member

Can you burn to disc from another computer, programs like malwarebytes and bring to your very sick computer and run it, if not it is not looking good.

3. AJC1976

Am not sure I can boot from DVD drive, I don't seem to have that option. Unless I am doing something wrong?
    Thanks,
    A

4. AJC1976

Hello again - that in fact was another question: can someone explain how I should try to boot from DVD please? I can try the HP boot options but this doesn't give me DVD drive as an option. Again, any help appreciated.

Thanks.

5. Neal

Neal Dedicated Member

See if any of this helps.

Google

6. AJC1976

Thanks for your help Neal. Have tried a variety of things but to no avail - the hdd is completely fried. Turns out I backed up about 80% of my files on my external so all is not completely lost. My final question - as a novice - do I have to install an HP replacement hdd or can I purchase any 160.0GB sata 150? Do you, or anyone else, have any recomendations at all?

Thanks again.

A

7. Neal

Neal Dedicated Member

Not really, sorry