1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free, fast alternative to Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by Ztruker, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I have been using DesktopOK that someone on SevenForums recommended recently to control placement of my Desktop Icons. With XP, I used to use a program called Iconoid. DesktopOK does the same thing and works well, so I was curious what else might be available.

Found this site: Page 1- Free Software effective solutions.

One of the free programs it offers is called Q-Dir and is an excellent alternative to Windows Explorer which has been so badly messed up in Windows 7. You can have a left side navigation (Folders) pane and 1, 2 or 4 right side panes.

What I really like is that as you navigate in the right pane, the left folder pane expands to keep up with you so you always know where you are and can easily move around.

Breadcrumbs are good but I still prefer this method.

Pretty slick.

2. broni

broni Malware Annihilator Techie7 Moderator Head Security

Yup, very nice program. Have been using it for a while.

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Not sure what you mean by that. Q-Dir is nice but I have no problems navigating about or moving files with Win7's Windows Explorer.

4. Ztruker

What comes to mind immediately:

Try navigating in the right pane of a two pane view (folders on the left). As you drill down, the left pane does not expand to match the navigation. They replaced this feature that has been in WE since day 1 with the Bread crumbs bar, which is nice but not as good (for me) as using the left side folders pane.

They removed the sideways scroll bar in the folders pane so you can't move what is being displayed into full visibility.

They removed the ability to control what is displayed via parmeters.

I used to use /e,/n,c:\ as the default for WE. Now it doesn't work correctly.

5. Digerati

It is different but I'm still not seeing exactly what you are talking about. I have a folder on my D drive called Utilities. I can see it in both the left and right panel. When I drill down once in the right side, it opens to show all the subfolders of my different utilities. No change on the left, as you indicate.

But if I click on CCleaner, for example to open it, the left panel Utilities does indeed open to show all the subfolders so I can easily navigate back up, or to another utility.

Have you played with the Show all folders and Automatically Expand to Current Folder options?

Sideways scroll bar? You are right, but you can easily drag the vertical divider bar to move the horizontal width out.

As for breadcrumbs - that was introduced in Vista, not Win7. In fact, most of how Explorer works in Win7 first appeared in Vista. I know for folks like me who never migrated to, or thoroughly learned Vista, Win7 presents a big learning curve - but in fact, it is me who is behind the times.

6. Ztruker

Where are the Show all folders and Automatically Expand to Current Folder options?

I don't see them under View or in Folder Options.

7. broni

broni Malware Annihilator Techie7 Moderator Head Security

8. Digerati

Oh? You should. Double click on a drive, select Tools > Folder Options, then look in the Navigation pane section. You should see Show all folders and Automatically expand to current folder.

9. Ztruker

Well I'll be dipped. Never even saw them before. Now it works like it should, unless I did see them at some time in the past and unchecked it for some reason.

Oh well, at my age, if that's all I'm forgetting I'm doing pretty good.

Thanks Bill

10. Digerati

No problem. Glad that was all it took.