1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camcorder to dvd

Discussion in 'Desktop / Server Applications' started by mikey44, Jan 13, 2010.

1. mikey44

mikey44 Techie7 New Member

can anyone help as sony seems to be crap on advice.i am trying to burn video from my sony camcorder to dvd using roxio easy media 10,it keeps saying use another blank dvd i have used dvd+rw,dvd-r but it says use dvd-video,no such disc,also my computer does not recognise my camcorder,it worked ok when i had xp but now i have vista,i have tried to find driver to update my camcorder and roxio but i cant find for vista .i have reinstalled image mixer1.0which was ok with xp but does not work with vista, thanks in anticipation

2. AuraTodd

AuraTodd Techie7 New Member

I would change to windows seven, as Vista seems to experience problems.

3. hersnab

hersnab Techie7 New Member

I feel your pain, although I upgraded to Windows 7 and I'm afraid to say the problem remains. The usb driver for older sony camcorders is a nightmare to install on Vista and from my experience impossible so far on Win 7. The answer I'm afraid is to use firewire and a different application or find an xp machine to capture using usb then tranfer the capture to your Vista machine. The firewire solution works well in windows 7 and Vista and allows me to control the camcorder from within windows and creates a much higher quality capture. I had to buy a firewire PCI card to facilitate this as I did not have firewire on my motherboard. I'm glad I did however because not only are the cards extremely inexpensive but like I said above the quality is much better.

If you feel brave however you may attempt to manually force the driver by following this link to try and install the usb driver in windows Vista. Be warned this comes with no guarantee it will work and if something goes wrong Sony or myself shall not be held responsible, tread carefully my friend ;) if in doubt buy a firewire card and download something like VLC media player or Virtualdub (both freeware) to do the capture with within Vista or of course try and find an XP machine to do the capture and burn on (or perhaps you could dual boot xp and vista or use a virtual machine running Windows xp?).

Best of luck to you :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010