1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi-working NTFS partition

Discussion in 'Alternative Operating System Help' started by Kaistar, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Hi all, been a really really long time.

My Windows 7 computer just died on me yesterday (will get to the Ubuntu part), just when I need it to finish my papers for my finals next week. Wonderful. Partition table got screwed up, one thing led to another and eventually I was standing on the edge of a knife looking over the chasms of "Free Unallocated Space" where it used to be "Kai's Essential Drive".

To skip a long story short, a partition of mine is screwed up. My external drive, to be more specific. All other screwed partitions have been rescued.

My external drive can be viewed fine in Ubuntu. Files can be accessed, written and modified fine. However, I can't seem to fix the external so that my Windows 7 can read it.

It shows up as a RAW drive and asks me to format it.

I've tried using the terminal sudo gpart /dev/sdb, followed by sudo parted and using the sectors I've gotten to try and "restore" it. Doesn't work.

Help! All my assignments and junk are there. The former and latter equally important.

2. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

3. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Thanks Roky. Should I open a thread in the Windows section then? I was actually wondering if there were any safe methods to "fix" the partition tables.

The fact that I can mount it in Ubuntu and look at it is good news, problem is I don't have another 1TB drive to act as a temporary backup drive. Kinda bums me out.

4. rokytnji

Yeah, start a thread in the Windows Section since you don't have a external drive to yank those files off with a live cd. Look for a junker 200 gig IDE hardrive if you can find one. I saw a old AST Desktop with a Windows 95/NT sticker on the front for $4.99 at the Salvation Army Yesterday. I made sure it powered up and was working. CRT moniter 19" was $3.99. I have enough old gear though. I coulda made that thing run good with Puppy Linux installed. But the wife pulllllllllllled me away.:stuart:

5. rokytnji

Forgot to mention. Before trying ANYTHING having to do with fixing Partitions. Whether using Linux or Windows to do this. Pulling off important Data like school work and such IS A Must.

If I advised you to start using some thing like System Rescue CD without backing up stuff. And you screwed the pooch. Well you get the idea.

6. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Haha yeah I get the idea. Oh gosh, I'm broke from gift shopping and paying for my air-ticket. I guess I might just have to leave my 1TB alone until mid February to purchase another 1TB for backup.

Sobs.