1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Google Public DNS

Discussion in 'Technical Discussions' started by rokytnji, Dec 4, 2009.

1. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

When you use Google Public DNS, you are changing your DNS "switchboard" operator from your ISP to Google Public DNS.
    Google now has their own public DNS servers available for anyone that wants to make use of them:

It appears that they'll being doing the redirects with any web users who accidentally type in the wrong URL into their browsers so that they can make some money from advertisers just like most ISPs are doing these days.

Official Google Blog: Introducing Google Public DNS

Google Code Blog: Introducing Google Public DNS: A new DNS resolver from Google

Configuration instructions can be found here:

Using Google Public DNS

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I will be sticking with OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security. And while a biased opinion may be expected, I think the comments about Google DNS found on the same page from David Ulevitch, the founder of OpenDNS, are valid.

3. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. Digerati

That might be a bit of a wait, but it will happen.

5. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Thanks Digerati for the Link to OpenDNS.

I'd never considered changing from my ISP DNS until I read your Link.

There's a notable (for the better) difference in page load speeds and some great
    additional features:yes:

Once again thanks and a Happy New Year

Jim

6. Digerati

You are welcome. BTW, if you are using a router (and everyone using cable/DSL should be) then if you put the OpenDNS addresses in your router's DNS tables you don't have to edit the settings on all your computers.

7. Jim23

Jim23 Dedicated Member

Yes I have router and did it that way but thanks for the info

I just like to add to any parent reading this post OpenDNS is a great tool to help protect your children from
    the nastier side of the web

Jim

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  8. wanrom

wanrom Techie7 New Member

Text removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010