1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recover data from dead laptop

Discussion in 'Alternative Operating System Help' started by TurminderXuss, Oct 18, 2009.

1. TurminderXuss

TurminderXuss Techie7 New Member

I have a broken G4 mac book, if i hold down alt when booting i get a screen with two buttons and the name of the hd. How can i recover data from this disc to a working laptop?

2. IT Support

IT Support Techie7 New Member

The following link is a guid for updgrading harddrives in G4's Powerbook G4 Hard Drive Upgrade Guide

I'd advise that if you don't feel comfortable voiding the warranty to goto an Apple Store. But you can buy USB devices on ebay for connecting raw harddrives to computers. So you can remove the harddrive from the G4 and connect it to another machine and copy the data off that way.

USB 2.0 to IDE SATA Adaptor Kit 2.5 3.5 Hard Drive HDD on eBay (end time 19-Oct-09 11:49:36 BST)

this a link to what i mean.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  3. TurminderXuss

TurminderXuss Techie7 New Member

Think I can sort the problem by booting up holding T key, target disk mode, just waiting for the cable to come in the post. I'll let you know how it goes...

4. Amy Diamond

Amy Diamond Techie7 New Member

It is almost an easy to recover data from a dead laptop,you need a recommended Mac recovery tool like Stellar Phoenix Mac Recovery software which is an awesome application in recovering lost,deleted or missing data from a dead hard drive or laptop..The software has a free demo version which can show you the recovered files on preview..

5. kolh

kolh Techie7 New Member

mmm...useful info...

6. alexcarlson

alexcarlson Techie7 New Member

Hi,
    Remove the hard drive from the computer. Buy a hard drive,check at your local stores and bring in the hard drive to show them so they can make sure you get what you need Just don't drop it.

put the hard drive you took out in the hard drive enclosure.Hook the hard drive enclosure (usually a usb connection) to another computer and look at either drive and copy anything you need off of it.
    Thanks

7. Dasha Samojlova

Dasha Samojlova Techie7 New Member

thanks for information

8. the_wick3d

the_wick3d Techie7 New Member

Boot up a live ubuntu dvd/cd , mount your hd if not automatically mounted, copy paste to your backup of choice :)

9. soniasharma

soniasharma Techie7 New Member

hey how can i save my bookmarked links? do you have any idea?

10. the_wick3d

the_wick3d Techie7 New Member

Did you use firefox or iexplorer? Different browers put them in different places