1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

graphics card has stopped by computer working.

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by anil_ks, Aug 22, 2009.

1. anil_ks

anil_ks Techie7 New Member

hi,

for a while the old computer seemed to have deleted the graphics card from its memory. In device manager i could not find my graphics card.

i opened the case to my computer and found the video card stated fx5200 and remembered it was a nvidia fx5200.

i downloaded the drivers for this device and installed it. i restarted my computer and now after 1 minute or so after i restart my computer it slows down and then seems to slowly crash and i can only move my mouse cursor.

is there anythin i can do. i only downloaded the driver because the resolution was too big.

please help! thks

2. anil_ks

anyone know whats wrong. i have uninstalled the driver now. screen doesnt glitch any more and the resolution is set to 600 x 800.

How do i get the computer not to glitch after i install the correct driver...i am too confused on this one.

PLEASE HELP!

3. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

4. anil_ks

ive just downloaded the correct driver and installed it. i restarted my computer and now the screen glitches (turns black and then on) and is stuck with half the screen as the xp welcome screen and the other half my desktop background.

Whats wrong with it? what would be my next step to take please?

5. Dan Penny

Download, install, and run Everest Home Edition on this machine. Once it's finished loading and running, look under;

MOTHERBOARD
    Post what is listed for your Motherboard (make/model) and the Motherboard Chipset description.

Computer, Summary, Display, or under Display, PCI/AGP Video. This will tell you what display adapter/chip
    you have. Post that information. (Video Adapter and 3D Accelerator.)

Multimedia, or, under Multimedia, PCI / PnP Audio. This will tell you what sound devices you have available
    on your system.

Post that information.

6. Dan Penny

Run a file check on the O/S.

METHOD 1
    If you have an XP CD:
    Click START, RUN, type in:

sfc /purgecache

(This ensures that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and files which may be infected/damaged with malware, or are corrupted, are not copied from your drive. Some of the files which are restored/replaced may need MS Updates applied. If sfc replaces any such files, you will have to reinstall updates for those files. (If you have Automatic Updates active, this will happen automatically.))

Then type in:

sfc /scannow

Have your XP CD handy.

METHOD 2
    If you do not have an XP CD:
    Click START, RUN, type in:

sfc /scannow

Post back with your results.