1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have gone and bust it

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by bootneck02, Aug 21, 2009.

1. bootneck02

bootneck02 Dedicated Member

:smartass:I have just upgraded my CPU to a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 1333FSB, the motherboard is a Gigabite DA-965P-DS3. When I fired it up my screen reports it is not recieving a digital signal from the Zotac GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 PCIE card. I have reseated the card and checked that it is getting power, the fan is working so power is there. I have also reseated the RAM Patriot 4GB PC2-6400 Extreme Performance,800MHz also tried them one at a time but no sucess.:no: Can any one out there give me any ideas please, one thought I have had is maybe the mother board does not support a Core 2 Quad. I have checked with another PC that the screen does recieve digital signal and works correctly.:eek:

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I generally set up a new computer using analog. Then when everything is working, I make sure the card's drivers are installed, I switch to digital. This is often necessary as most, if not all, motherboards default to standard analog signals and resolutions during the initial stages of the boot process so you can't get past that to install the necessary drivers for digital.

The 8200 is compatible: GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.0)

3. bootneck02

:wacko:Thanks for the info Digerati, with the GIGABYTE site you supplied I have confirmed that the CPU is compattable with the motherboard, so still scratching head. By the way one thing I forgot to mention on my post no OS on the new formatted HD if that helps.

4. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

If the card has a extra power port is that connected to the PSU through a dedicated PCI-e 6 pin power line? Have you tried using a card that you know works? Have you tried another PCI-e slot?

5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

And if there is no OS, there are no drivers either. So I would go analog for now.

6. bootneck02

Thanks DigeratiI will give that a go and let you know what happens, sorry I did not reply earlier but had to take dogs for walkies

7. bootneck02

Following on to the situation with the Graphics Card I have now decided to upgrade and rebuild the whole PC. I have ordered a DFI Blood Iron BI-P45-T2RS Intel P45 Express Socket 775 Motherboard, Intel core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU ,a new 1 TB HD (Formatted) and a GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2 Graphics Card.

This plonke:Dr will still have the same problem as the HD will not have a OS and therefore no drivers for the graphics card as the new motherboard does not have graphics & requires a graphics card to be fitted!!!!! HELP, HELP:taz::wacko::cowboy::56::stupid:

8. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

How about you slipstream the driver that comes with the
    on the cd and slipstream it into the Windows install cd. Doesn't Windows also have a generic driver bootneck that will power up the card so you can install driver cd after install? You should get a display anyway with the install cd.

9. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

Re reading your post I see you have no Windows OS. You could download the Windows 7 trial issue and use it to install driver also.

10. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Since there is no OS it isn't driver or OS related so it must be hardware. That leaves power supply, the card itself, the slot, or the MB. So,
    and,
    If you upgraded your CPU perhaps it isn't getting enough power anymore. You might have needed to do a BIOS upgrade before upgrading the CPU. Have you tried putting the original CPU back? So that we don't miss anything please spell out what you have done since the last time the computer worked or has this computer ever worked?:confused: List both what you changed since the last time it worked and what troubleshooting you have done. Try stripping down the computer down to the bare essentials of 1 stick of ram, cpu, psu, & graphics. No other add on cards, usb devices, hard drives, or optical drives & see if functions correctly. For troubleshooting purposes you can put a PCI-express card in any PCI-express slot it just won't have the same performance as if it is in the x16 slot for several reasons. What it will do is allow us to do is narrow down the variables. Just try this after stripping down the computer if stripping it down doesn't work or you can do it before and then test out your computer. You don't want to make all of the possible changes at once or you won't know what the problem is.

What do you mean by this:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  11. bootneck02

:clap:Thanks for all the advice Guy's to answer the possible power supply question I have a 700watt PSU, my thinking is that it is maybe the MB playing up as it has lots of different bits of equipment put on it and replaced as it really has been a PC that I built as a learning curve and tried to keep up with modern sound, graphic and RAM. It started out as a HP PC with a Pentium D CPU and a HP motherboard and has been re cased and new bits and pieces added the only thing now original is a DVD reader writer and that is also now due to be replaced for a Blue Ray.I will let you know how I get on with the rebuild. At least I have this PC to keep in touch running XP. Any other thoughs on the problem allways welcome. :detective:detective