1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by CaptainMazda, Aug 9, 2009.

1. CaptainMazda

CaptainMazda Dedicated Member

Just upgraded my RC 7100 to RTM. Didn't want to reinstall everything so I opted for an upgrade rather than a clean install.

Everything's working fine, just as it was with the RC. Very happy with Win7 so far and I'm glad to get rid of the dreaded expiry date :shuriken:

[​IMG]

2. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

How did you get the RTM?

3. CaptainMazda

I sneezed.

4. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

Looks good Capn. You got to keep your dock and everything huh.

6. dobhar

dobhar Technical Guest

Nice...

At least I can keep my RC until June 2010...but I will have my copy from MS installed before then...

7. dobhar

dobhar Technical Guest

By the way...what program are you using for your dock Captain??

8. CaptainMazda

9. dobhar

dobhar Technical Guest

Thanx... :)

10. CaptainMazda

11. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

thanks

12. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

13. rannoch

rannoch Established Techie7 Member

Like many other, I have been running Windows 7 Ultimate Beta and RC, and on the whole all the programs I used in Vista worked to spec.

Unfortunately, the RTM version is not the same.

For example, Acronis True Image 10 worked to spec under Beta and RC.
    Under Windows 7 Professional RTM and Ultimate RTM it installs OK, but will not run - even under XP or Vista compatability. Having checked the Acronis forum, the official line is "All the future major version upgrades of Acronis products are planned to support Windows 7 operating systems" - nothing about fixing the issue (whatever it is) in existing product.

14. CaptainMazda

I had a similar issue with my HP PSC1410 All-in-one printer. It worked fine with XP and Vista. With Win7 RC I had to do some tinkering to get the software to install. Once I ugpraded to RTM I managed to make it work once again. However, with a clean install of Win7 RTM the printer would no longer function properly. I managed to install the software but the scanner wouldn't work. I'm now using a Lexmark 1270 All-in-one.

15. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

That's not good news about Acronis 10, as that is what I use on my XP box and was planning on using on my Win 7 box.I really hate to move up to a later version of Acronis as I dislike the interface changes and all the additional junk they added.

16. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

How's the general Windows 7 driver and software support currently? Hearing this scenario about Acronis makes me a little bit more wary of installing Win7 on my upcoming PC.

17. Ztruker

I bit the bullet and upgraded to Acronis 2009 for $14.99. Seem a lot better than Acronis 11 so far. Installed cleanly and runs well.

18. rannoch

rannoch Established Techie7 Member

A reported issue with Acronis 2009 is that the function to mount an image does not work. Interested to know if it actually does.

Also found my Canon IP5000 printer does not work - no drivers found, and not in manual install list.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  19. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Remember the hardware and driver problems with Vista initially??? They were eventually worked out as will these. You've got to admit that things better with 7 than with Vista at this stage. I think the driver issue is actually better with 7 than with Vista considering a lot of the Vista drivers work on 7. The only Vista drivers that didn't work for me where for my sound card. Fortunately Creative had some beta drivers. Beta drivers for an experimental OS. What I don't like is that zone alarm doesn't have a firewall out yet & I like to have control of program connectivity which I think is essential when even your screen savers want to connect to the internet.:ban::hammer: I got a pop up yesterday that the aurora screen saver wanted permission to connect to the internet.[​IMG] Why in the :censored: would a screen saver need to connect to the internet.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  20. Ztruker

Mounting an image in Acronis 2009 sort of works, but it seems to be sequential. I backed up C: through F: and it's mounting them in some unknown order, E: F: C:. D: never made it, it faield with a message about "Can't assign a driver letter to one of the partitions in the backup". It also takes a very long time to mount each one.

I think I'll add my woes to the Acronis forum or wherever I can report this.