1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliable and affordable Webhost?

Discussion in 'Web Development Help' started by Kaistar, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

I'm currently using Surpass Hosting, which is my first and only experience with webhosts so far, and I have no complaints whatsoever.

However, I'm paying a somewhat more costly $7 a month compared to the other offers I see online.

But with more research I found out that many of those cheaper counterparts are not as reliable as they seem and they oversell themselves all the time.

So I'm hoping some of the web owners here can fill me in a little on what they deem to be reliable web hosts.

For one, I'm interested in finding out which web host D-A-L is using.

2. d-a-l

d-a-l Techie7 Administrator Staff Member Techie7 Chief

Hi Kaistar,

$7 per month is super cheap. It does depend on what you are using the hosting for in terms of your Website but I would say that is at the real low end of pricing. Anything lower and I would seriously question the quality of the service. At $7 you will be on a shared hosting plan meaning your space is allocated on a server which is shared by a number of other users.

Hosting really is a tailored solution and needs to match your requirements. For example with a site like this we simply have to have our own server. A dedicated server like ours can easily cost $500 per month for the quality that we need in terms of hardware and connectivity.

I can't really recommend anyone in the US as I always use UK hosting providers.

3. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

A site this large can't really go on a hosting server but will require at least 1 dedicated server, right? You probably have a backup as well.

4. d-a-l

d-a-l Techie7 Administrator Staff Member Techie7 Chief

Yep, it's basically one server dedicated to just this site.

5. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

You only need one?

6. HappyBeaver

HappyBeaver Bea*ering Away!

I'm with Known Host for my VPS and they're brilliant! Moved to them from Midphase as they couldn't get the speeds right. KnownHost answer my tickets, which were only a hand full at the outset, within minutes! They offer dedicated as well :)

Managed VPS Hosting - Managed Hybrid Servers - Managed Dedicated Servers - Managed cPanel VPS Hosting by KnownHost

I will say though, for personal sites, Midphase is excellent. I've been with them for 7 years for my personal website - they're cheap and offer loads of webspace - I've currently got 1TB and for only $90 a year! :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Dang. Can you use that space just for online backup? Is it yours to do with whatever you want? Do you log into their server?

8. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Fuh that's a pretty good deal. I've heard of some hosts that deletes what they believe to be online backups though because apparently they're only supposed to be hosting not used as a backup. Whatever that means.

But those were hosts that offer $2 - $4 a month...

9. HappyBeaver

HappyBeaver Bea*ering Away!

Well, I've a fair amount of stuff on mine and how can they say it's backups? Just put a holding page up and store what you want :)

10. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Have you guys heard of Fat Cow? My sister just registered for hosting with it...

11. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

You get what you pay for.:D

No. How about you let us know.

BTW does it cost extra for a domain name or is that included?:confused:

12. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

13. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I meant with the 90/year that happy beaver mentioned. BTW that link didn't go anywhere. I tried taking off the astrics and I got a message saying that I didn't have access to the server.

14. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Sorry sorry! I wasn't being really clear. What I meant was, they'll give you a free domain but with the ".fatcow.com" at the back. Meaning it's actually a sub-domain of fat cow.

15. jgwynne

jgwynne Techie7 New Member

Hi all,

as a small british company that offers web hosting the usuall you get what you pay for isn't always true.

we offer very low prices, fantastic support, 99.9% uptime, and are in a cloud based environment which is highly scaleable.

now the thing is like any other business we need customers to survive, but will not sacrifice on quality. there are some good cheap hosts out there that operate on the same policy.

just my 2cents

joe