1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error after updating the NVidia Driver

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Kizzmit5, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Kizzmit5

Kizzmit5 Established Techie7 Member

I have a new hard drive so I installed what I had thought was the new driver using the device manager but soon found out it wasn't the right one. So I went to the site and did the automatic install. I now have an error that says:

The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

So I went back to the site but I'm not sure if I need to uninstall the driver (or how and if I do uninstall will it hurt anything or cause anything not to work right?) and then reinstall. The version I'm using is 6.14.001.7519 I have a pc, and use windowsxp, not sure what other information is needed. I have a few other drivers that a "driver agent" says I need updated but am not sure where to get those updates.

Oh I did directx diagnostic tool and it says no problems found but something must be somewhere right? Let me know if you need more info.

1 person likes this.
  2. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Can you boot into your computer? If so go into device manager and double click on the entry for your graphics card. Click on the driver tab and then click on roll back driver. Follow any instructions and reboot.

If that doesn't work I would try a restore point to before you tried to do the update.

If all goes well if you still want to update the driver I would do so from the manufacturer's website and not Microsoft.

3. Kizzmit5

I can boot, i'll try the roll back. Um, I went to the nvidia site and did the driver update, is that the one i'm supposed to do and if so was there something I should have done that I didn't? It did a scan and then updated it itself.

4. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

You should go to the manufacturer's site select your model and then select the XP driver. I could try to help if you tell me what card you have.

5. Kizzmit5

I have a biostar, is that the one you need? its geforce 5500 i'm not sure of anything else you need though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  6. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Thats not enough. I need the model number. If you don't know you can run the scan at the top of the page and post back the link.

7. Kizzmit5

I didn't see a link but here is what it says

Manufacturer: VIA Technologies,Inc.
    Model: KM266A-8237
    Total physical memory 2047 MB
    Processor model: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
    number of physical processors: 1
    number of logical processors: 1

also its strange I did the roll back but when I just did that scan it didn't say that my driver for that was out of date. It said that VIA Bus Master IDE Controller, HID Keyboard Device, and VIA CPU to AGP controllers were out of date.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  8. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

If you did the scan where is the link that it gives you? This doesn't say anything about the graphics. Hit your back button to go find the results of the scan.

9. Kizzmit5

10. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

It doesn't show the model number and I can't find it on Biostar's website so I suppose just to use the one from nvidia and let us know.

11. Kizzmit5

oh ok thanks a lot for looking for me :D

12. Kizzmit5

hi, i wrote to biostar and they told me to test my memory sticks but they won't tell me how. do you know how and is it hard? I only have the ones in my puter so i don't know how to check against another or if its a scan or not lol. thanks for any help.

ok i looked online and it looks like I can use Memory Diagnostics Tool but I don't have that on this computer, what is a safe, reliable place to get that? I tried looking for it at the microsoft site but did not see it. Am I missing something?Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009