1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Veloce, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Veloce

Veloce Techie7 New Member

My new GPU (GeForce 9800GT) has been working fine for a while now, couldn't get BIOS screen to show on that display but the bios uses the motherboard VGA output instead.

Now my pc seems to have no video drivers installed, it's using the motherboard VGA system with no drivers, i downloaded the latest drivers for my card off the nVidia website but when i log on i can't use the card, and i still get the message "please install/update your video drivers"

Anybody have any ideas? Hellllppppppp!! :(

Will get any required information to you ASAP.

Thanks.

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

We need more information about your computer and version of Windows. Your computer should not have been using the on-board after you installed the card, so it seems your initial installation was not right - unless you were using both for a dual-monitor setup.

I would uninstall all drivers and start over using the instructions that came with your card, or from the maker's website. And make sure your power supply can support that big card.

3. Veloce

I have a 500W PSU, I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3.

Its a gigabyte motherboard, 1GB DDR Ram, AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor, and 60GB HDD. I will try to find the driver disk, and if i cannot i will just install the drivers from the nvidia website after uninstalling them.

Will update once i've made some progress.

4. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

It is usually best to have the most recent graphics drivers. There is an addition power plug on this card for extra power so are you sure that you have that connected?

5. Digerati

As mentioned above I recommend using the drivers from the card maker's site - and not the GPUs.

6. Veloce

Okay update.

I removed and placed the card back into the slot. my pc now recognises it as new hardware, but it says "unknown" and although i have the driver CD, it days drivers cannot be found.

When i run the cd, it says no drivers for your current VGA chip (because its trying to update the motherboard, the nVidia 6100.

Any ideas? I don't have both connecters of the power connected because there isn't another (MOLEX?) 4-pin connector free anywhere, theyre all used up.

I think i'll ry removing again, and making sure all connectors are free from grime, and re-un-dust the motherboard and pc.

Not happy :(

(In a completely unrelated incident) i had a text from a +42 number (slovakia i think) although i live in the uk, dont know any slovakians and it just kind of freaked me out a little. Really not my week.

1 person likes this.
  7. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

It is better to have the newest graphics drivers therefore you should get them from the manufacturer's website instead of the CD. I don't understand entirely what you are saying but if windows is trying to install drivers for a built in graphics chip then that chip should be disabled in the BIOS [see your manual] that way windows won't even know that it exists. If it is trying to install drivers for your chip set then you are using the wrong disk.

If you'll look at the card and find the power plug you will see that it is a 6-pin plug [see below]. If you don't connect that your card isn't getting enough power. If you don't have one of those built into your PSU you can use a molex PCI-E Power Supply Converter cable. If you don't have enough molex plugs get a molex plug splitter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  8. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Although the molex converter is an option it is a very poor one.

Many cards include the converter but it still restricts power.

It is so important before purchasing a new graphics card to make sure your PSU is compatible.

Most new cards require 2 x 6 + 2 pin PCI_E each.

9. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I agree that one must make sure that the PSU is compatible but the adapters are in case he presently doesn't have any other way to get that extra juice to his card. Using those adapters although limiting would be better than nothing if his PSU doesn't have a 6-pin PCI-e. Also that card is an MSI GeForce 9800 GT.

10. jephree

The adapters are a marketing ploy. They are not adequate to power the card.

11. Digerati

As jephree noted, you need to get a proper supply and don't use power adapters for any sort of permanent fix.

12. Veloce

I have 2 connectors for it (the 6-pin on the card)

One that i already had that has 2 molex female connectors (but i only have one free male molex to use)

and the PSU came with a 6-pin/ molex adapter that just has the one molex female connector.

The CD is for the card, but it says there are no suitable drivers, because it doesn't recognise that the card is actually there at all.

Maybe backing up my important files, and resetting the whole system would be good for me. That way all files i don't use/need will be gone and maybe something that is a fault with the system will be gone?

I'm not making any hasty decisions yet though

13. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

As we have numerously stated it is best to get the drivers though the manufacturer's website so please disregard the CD. What is the manufacturer for you card? If we know that we can help you out.

Let me get this straight the card has 2 6-pin plugs on the card but your PSU only has 1? Then according to what Bill and Jephree are saying your PSU is not adequate to power your card which is probably why you had your initial problem.

14. Veloce

No, what it is is that the card has 1 6-pin connector, but i have 2 power adapters for the card.

One with 1x molex, one with 2x molex.

I have tried re-installing the drivers from the manufacturers website. It's an xpertvision geforce 9800GT

Still no luck. I think it's the motherboard thats broked. It just doesn't show the 9800GT as a peice of hardware, as if it isnt even there attached to the pc.

I found out the "unknown devices" found before by my motherboard, are not the card, but actually something i can't figure out.

I clicked properties (in device manager) on the unknown hardware, and it says its location is at nvidia 6100 (the onboard graphics)

Man i am so confused.

1 person likes this.
  15. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Ok are you saying that the card doesn't show up in user control panel? That would probably be because it doesn't have drivers or perhaps because it can't function correctly due to the lack of power. If you have any video at all then it is working and your MB is using it. Did you get any errors when installing the drivers? How did you try to install them? Did you get them from here?

You need to get this power variable out of the equation so if you don't have an 6-pin PCI-e cable coming directly from your PSU then you need to consider either replacing the card with one that doesn't require additional power or replacing your PSU with on that does have a 6-pin PCI-e. Forgot about using any adapters.

16. jephree

Just to reiterate from many experiences:

Those molex adapters do not work.

At best they require two independent lines from the PSU.

That is not a splitter. You need two otherwise unused leads from the PSU: One to each molex.

Even then you are lucky it even runs.

That card requires at least a 500 watt PCI_E ready PSU with a dedicated 1 x 6 pin lead.

17. Veloce

Okay thanks guys, can anyone recommend a PSU?

The one i have at the moment is 500W, has 4 MOLEX connectors, 24pin motherboard + 4 pin motherboard, and the other regular pins.

I need one that will power everything on a regular PC, but with the addition of the Gpu

So 20+4pin and motherboard connector, cd/dvd drive, hdd and whatnot.

Tha nks for all the help so far :)

18. Digerati

Well, here's my canned text on that:

Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. If not listed, check a comparable card (same graphics engine and RAM) from a different maker. The key specifications, in order of importance are:
    1. Current (amperage or amps) on the +12V rail,
    2. Efficiency,
    3. Total wattage.
    Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of your video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

19. Veloce

Thanks for that!

I did a quick guesstimate of some of the values and it came out at around 350w needed.

The psu i have at the moment is 500, but the company is questionable, and like mentioned before it doesnt have a solid line out for the 6-pin pci-e.

Im looking at corsair PSU's, either the 520 or 620 HX series, but i will decide once i fill in that calculator properly :)

20. Digerati

I like Corsairs PSUs, and Antec too. Understand the computer will draw from the wall what it needs, not what the PSU can deliver. That is, if the computer needs 425 watts, the power used from the wall will be 425 watts (plus some overhead), regardless whether it is a 500 watt PSU or a 800 watt PSU. The difference is the 500 watt will be working hard the whole time while the 800 watt supply will be loafing along.