1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagnose MotherBoard fault ASROCK CONROE945G-DVI

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by penguinpaul, Jun 16, 2009.

1. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

Hi,
    I've recently bought an ASROCK CONROE945G-DVI motherboard, and bought a bunch of other bits to make use of some old components I had lying around.

Anyway, I bought the motherboard as untested from a seller who had a lot of untested components.
    It's dead.
    I have 2x 1GB sticks of Crucial Ballistix ram (PC5300 667mhz)
    A WD 80gb sata HD
    IDE DVD drive
    Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0ghz (And an Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 GT for it)

Anyway, the HD spins up, all the fans work etc, but nothing on the monitor :(
    I've tried different monitors and leads etc, but nothing.
    I've checked the CMOS battery, and all of the components...

What could be wrong with the mobo then? Anything I can replace..?
    How can I find out what exactly is wrong with the mobo so I can replace and resolder it??

Any suggestions are really appreciated :) :helpsmili

2. penguinpaul

Right. Just ordered a POST card online, so i'll let you know how things you with that :)

3. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

What is the info on the graphics card? Have you tried another card in its place? Have you tried it in another computer? Do you receive a beep code when you turn on the computer? If so what is it?

4. penguinpaul

I'm using the onboard graphics, so I'm thinking they may be dead..
    I don't have another card atm. It doesnt have a speaker/bleeper on it, just the header for one, but unfortunately the case doesnt have one... However, the POST card I've ordered does, along with LEDs etc.

Also, every 3rd or 4th time i try and boot it, it will turn off after about 5 secs, and start going again once the fans have stopped spinning. Does this indicate anything??

Thanks for the quick reply btw.

-Paul

5. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Without a pc speaker connected to it & no video it is hard to know what the problem is that I know of. Without anything else to go on all I can suggest at this point is to try a graphics card. They are typically better than on board anyway.
    What card are you referring to?

6. penguinpaul

Hi, The POST card is a card that goes into either the PCI or ISA slot and reads the data off port 80, where the mobo sends POST info. The card has a LED display on it, which displays error numbers (numbers translate to a problem with the sheet provided) and also has LEDs and a speaker on the card.
    Hopefully it will be able to tell me everything the mobo is picking up in POST :)