1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Core i7 Build, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'How to: Building a PC, Modding, Overclocking' started by Kaistar, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Hey guys! I haven't been around the past week cause I've moved out (I have my own room now! Hohoho) and I've not gotten internet into the place yet.

My friend asked me to pick some parts for him. He's a well funded guy to say the least, and this is what I came up with. Feel free to suggest replacements and such. Keep in mind, yeah I am aware that a number of the parts are so called "high perf" parts but that's what my friend asked me to get for him.

1. APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    2. ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    3. EVGA 01G-P3-1181-AR GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    4. RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply - Retail
    5. Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
    6. CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9 - Retail
    7. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    8. HP 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model HP 1140i - Retail

Total cost is: $1,233 USD.

2. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

Everything looks good, and expensive lol. Only thing is the power supply, do you think 630 watts will be enough? Will he ever want to use 2 graphics cards?

extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

that site will calculate the power supply size you will need :)

remember to allow for anything he might want to add in the future :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Yeah I was somewhat worried about that as well. The PSU power I mean.

My own calculations brought up that it should be able to run 2x EVGA GTX285 cards that I picked for him though. I tried the site you recommended (thanks! Will keep it bookmarked!) but not being too familiar with it, not sure if I did it right.

It came out (with the current specs) at about 369watt.

4. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

I will also jump on the PSU.

Your choice will run one card but not two. Those cards require dual 6 pin each so a total of 4 x 6 pin PCI_E leads.

Most such PSU's just by their nature will be over 700 watts up to over 1,000 watts.

If price is no issue Enermax's Revolution 950 is a wonderful piece of hardware and has 6 x 6+2 pin PCI_E plus anything else you would ever need:

Newegg.com - ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+ ERV950EWT 950W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

5. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Thank you guys! I've been running that idea by my friend as well. Running ideas by him is scary, he almost decided to jump onto a GTX295 yesterday, but thankfully I convinced him that he probaby won't need that much power.

Because really, he doesn't need that graphics card. But well, I'm just here to satisfy his wishes lol (that sounds wrong).

I'm sort of building my "dream machine" and I'll be building it for him. Feels like I'm giving a part of me away *sobs*.

6. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

The first time I used that site for calculating PSU power, I missed a section, so it's worth scrolling around a bit :rolleyes_
    cos 369 watts sounds far too low :boat:

Anyway, im sure you're dream machine will come one day... Mayeb the i5 will be good and better value? :turned: